Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? Tyree ? Purple Monster @ M.A. ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? Tyree ? Purple Monster @ M.A. ???
    Posted: June 24 2005 at 10:00pm
Is the Purple Monster being sold at Marine Aquatics tomorrow the Tyree Purple Monster Where did so many frags of this coral come from?

Edited by coreyk
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 10:26pm
Eric says it's a real purple monster, whatever it is they have a pretty large colony of it; guess he's gonna chop it up. Don't you have a purple monster coryk? If so where did you get it from?
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 10:41pm
He got it in a shipment from the Soloman islands. 
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 11:39pm
Jordan: I got mine from ...  Steve Tyree --> Leonard Ho "Reefscapes" --> SawCJack00 (Bill Bramucci) --> geshields (Greg Shields) --> redFishblue (Deseon Chung) --> me

Susan: Thanks! I have seen a couple of threads on RC about them... Does it have the white polyps, etc? Can't wait to see some pics!
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 8:54am
A pedigree of a coral?
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:13am
A pedigree of a coral?

If your going to sell a frag as the "real deal", not an imitation of a "Purple Monster", you have to have it. Someday I'd like this frag to pay for itself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:24am
Whats the going rate for a true purple monster frag? Are there look-alike frags?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:26am
Corey, can you post a pic of yours?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:29am
It can be debated that any coral is a "True Purple Monster" ... Simply because someone says it is. Going rate for a Tyree PM that you can show came from Tyree is 150$ - 300$, depending on size and who you get it from.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:33am

Who is Tyree and where did he get his coral?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:37am

The 'Purple Monster' Coral was originally imported back in 1995 from the Solomons. It was a very unique and distinctive coral having a christmas tree form composed of smooth thick branches. This coral was placed within Steve Tyree's 180 gallon reef. It was featured in an MFM article way back in 1996. The name was coined by Steve Shvetstoff while he was living in the Oakland area of California. Those of you unfamilar with this coral can see its web page at
http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com/stevepurple.htm
Steve Tyree is currently farming this coral from the last fragment that was harvested from a spectacular colony that Tracy Gray had grown within his reef. That reef unfortunately completely crashed while Tracy was in Japan on business. Tracy's colony was grown from a fragment purchased from Bill Schroer of the old Piece of the Reef shop. Bill had acquired a colony of the coral from Cameron Azad of Pasadena California. Cameron had originally acquired a a tiny fragment of this coral in 1996 from Steve Tyree. Over 4 years Cameron had grown the tiny fragment into a very nice sized parent colony. The color lightened due to his brighter lights and grew slightly thinner due to Camerons slightly weaker current. While being maintained within the 650 gallon show reef at Piece of the Reef, the coral has regained its deep rich purple color. This color was maintained by Tracy Gray. The fragment Steve is growing has also maintained the characteristic deep purple coloration and is growing thinner branches. Since this coral was originally imported back in 1995, there have been a few Monstor-like austera colonies imported, but none had the unique growth form that this colony had or the deep rich purple color it developed. This coral is being farmed by Steve Tyree and it is located within one of his 125 gallon naturally filtered Tri-Zonal EG reefs. ReefFarmers.com is allowed to distribute 1 farmed fragment of this coral per month beginning with October 2003. Price is currently $135 per medium sized fragment. The monthly limited edition reservation schedule can be found below.

http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedpurplemonstor.htm

Edited by BananaTropics
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:47am

Not sure when that was written, but it may be a bit more common now. Here is the reeffarmers website for it. Who knows... Maybe its all hype, but it is a pretty coral and its fun to grow something that is supposed to be difficult to grow. At least until it crashes.

Here is the link to the Tyree website

<edit> Hey .. you changed your post

Edited by coreyk
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:53am
So I guess if you don't buy it from Tyree it's not purple monster?  I don't think so! Sometimes the name tyree isn't worth the money.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 11:09am

So I guess if you don't buy it from Tyree it's not purple monster?  I don't think so! Sometimes the name tyree isn't worth the money.

Now you're speaking my language.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 11:15am

Like I said Jeff ...  It can be debated that any coral is a "True Purple Monster" ... Simply because someone says it is. If you are asking if any coral that looks similar can be a Tyree Purple Monster.. I would say no, because of the characteristics that are in the description of the Tyree Purple Monster.

I agree... sometime the Tyree corals may not be worth the extra $$$. I think that’s why everyone doesn't buy them. They make an evaluation and a personal decision as to whether ot the coral (or any item for that matter) is worth it to them.

Whether or not a Tyree coral will look extremely nice, I think, has a ton to do with the keeper.

BTW: I have at least 12 Purple Monsters in my tank... but I only have one Tyree Purple Monster.

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 11:40am

Corey

To answer your question yes it is purple monster and i know this cause this is the same person Tyree got his from a year ago. So i guess you can say thats how i can say its purple monster, thats its (Pedigree)

The main reason tyree purple monster was going for so much cause he was the only one who had it now that acro is being shipped from Solomon Island again alot of the high dollar frags that were being sold will drop like a rock. To think Tyree is the only one who can get this kind of acro is just funny to me.. 

Edited by FIRE SHRIMP
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:01pm
Well Based on Corey's first post, the Tyree is on it's 7+ generation...
Which means it's all ready an Established Hardy Aquacultured piece. I
would gladly pay twice as much (when talking rare corals) for something
that is on 3rd or more generation because it's going to be alot more
hardy, and more resiliant.

That's why I think that some "Tyree" or Tubs, or ORA etc. are worth the
money.
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:01pm
Sound good to me. Either way .. I sure it is a nice coral. I was just curious what it was or if Tyree was going to do an in-store appearance or something. It sounds this SI purple monster is becoming pretty common. How about "Erics Purple Monster". You should post some pics!

Looks like Tyree actually got his about 10 years ago. "The 'Purple Monster' Coral was originally imported back in 1995"

Couple of relevant links

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/frags.html

Purple monster look alike

PM coming in again from solomons?

Edited by coreyk
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:01pm

Corey's right, if you're going to sell expensive frags, exspecially on-line, they need name recognition.  And Tyree has it.  Just try to sell a Tyree PM without "papers" on reefcentral...

That's not to say that Eric doesn't have the exact same coral as Tyree... he might.  But he's not likely to be able to sell frags of it for the same jack as Tyree gets.

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:07pm
Jon: Totally ... Hype and marketing are key to the promotion of any product. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic