Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t5 lighting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t5 lighting
    Posted: April 16 2014 at 1:59am
I've decided that I want to put t5s on my 210 gallon aquarium. I want to keep sps corals. Does anyone have any suggestions? How many bulbs, watts, etc...... Is there a specific fixture that anyone would suggest?
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 2:03am
Or, I want to keep lps corals with fish that don't do well with sps. If that makes any sense. I want to have a vibrantly colorful tank with some of the fish that I have never been able to keep before because I used to keep acros. I may decide to go this route instead.

Any suggestions on lights?
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 6:33am
What is the current lighting? MH and PC? May we see a pic of the tank?
Ross Bagshaw kept his MH but added a bank of four t5's across his 180.
LED's are the future lighting of the hobby but still too costly. In another 5 years we may all be using LED's.

There are more cool looking fish that bother LPS than bother SPS.
What are these fish you want to keep?

I have 6 different lighting schemes on 6 different tanks. Come on over and check 'em out. Smile

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 10:10am
This has always been one of my favorite tanks with T5 lighting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXSL0MZAdiM
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 11:55am
I absolutely love the ATI fixtures. I know they are a bit costly but for some reason they put out great color. I have had other T5 fixtures with ATI bulbs and just didn't like it. Bought an ATI fixture and I was sold, I love them.
I plan to add a form of LED to get that extra pop sometime down the line.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 12:28pm
I've heard mixed reviews on LED lights. One of the negatives I've heard about LEDs is the coral growth just isn't there like it is with MH and florescent lighting. I just haven't been sold on LEDs yet.

The LTIs don't have a fixture that is 72 inches. I suppose I could retrofit something.
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 12:52pm
Just be aware that not all T5 fixtures and bulbs are created equally. Go with a quality fixture. An ATI Sunpower or Powermodule with 8 bulbs would be a great choice.

If money is no issue the ATI Hybrid Fixtures with LED and T5 combo look awesome.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

LED's are the future lighting of the hobby but still too costly. In another 5 years we may all be using LED's.

Really?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 5:34pm
Adam, if I were you, I'd listen to the man. He might be right. Look at Star Trek......almost all of that technology has come true.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 5:47pm
Mark, I just would like to keep some of the angels and butterflyfish that don't bother LPS. I do like that one tank that you showed me with all the gorgonians. I am still considering doing mine this way. I must have xenia though, and they need lights. Right now all I have is 2 VHOs over my big tank (enough light for fish and thats it). I got rid of the metal halides. There isn't much to see with my big tank, just a big glass rectangular box with water 72" long and two chromis swimming around.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Firefish Firefish wrote:

I've heard mixed reviews on LED lights. One of the negatives I've heard about LEDs is the coral growth just isn't there like it is with MH and florescent lighting. I just haven't been sold on LEDs yet.

The LTIs don't have a fixture that is 72 inches. I suppose I could retrofit something.

A 60" ATI covers a 72" tank with no problems. I actually highly recommend running a shorter fixture.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 9:38pm
Two 36" four tube fixtures is what we used on Ross's 180. I believe that t12 fluorescent tube manufacturing is being phased out, so switching to t5 now is a good idea.

One of the major differences in t5 lighting that bstuver mentioned is, I believe, the difference in the ballasts. Even though the manufacturers advertise them as HO, the cheaper fixtures use cheaper lower power output ballasts.

For a friends tank we bought a 48" two tube fixture that was labled for freshwater, with NO t5's. I gutted it and used two Workhorse 3 ballasts wired in-line and plugged in to two timers. The fixture light intensity is more than double and the remote ballasts make the fixture run much cooler. Even with the addition of the two WH3 ballasts the cost was still $60 less than the HO fixture. It also looks professional, not DIY.

Aloha Hug
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 2:39am
Ryan, it looks like the power cord come right out of the top of the thing. That would make the light tilt. What did you do to overcome this problem?
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 6:18am
They don't tilt at all there heavy enough to keep them straight. The Powermodule is very heavy and extremely over built
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 8:02am
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but...
If a hanging cord pulls the light fixture off kilter it can be easily rectified. The cord can be attached to the suspension wires/chains above the fixture or looped to attachment points on walls or tank frame to relieve the pull on the fixture. Also, you probably know this but since electrical cords are partly metal and partly plastic/rubber they can be strongly kinked into new curves or over-bent in the opposite direction to remove curves. I have hung a curved cord or vinyl tube from a door with some weight on the bottom to straighten it. Also, a few minutes dip in very hot water softens the polymer plastic/rubber before bending/hanging, allowing it to more readily take new shape.

Hope this helps.
Aloha Hug
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 8:56am

Mark, I just would like to keep some of the angels and butterflyfish that don't bother LPS. I do like that one tank that you showed me with all the gorgonians. I am still considering doing mine this way. I must have xenia though, and they need lights. Right now all I have is 2 VHOs over my big tank (enough light for fish and thats it). I got rid of the metal halides. There isn't much to see with my big tank, just a big glass rectangular box with water 72" long and two chromis swimming around.

Some thoughts:
+ Angelfish and Butterflyfish love to devour LPS coral. Ask Brad/Tileman. He has a lot of experience with this. Additionally, food type and quantity has a great deal to do with it. Recently an improvement in food actually stopped an Angelfish from picking on an LPS coral in a local hobbyist/friends tank.

+ Julian Sprung has suggested that many of the fish that are inclined to eat coral will ignore Gorgonia which makes them awesome coral for yet another reason. Smile

+ Why not keep the VHO t12's and add some HO t5's alongside? It's the same fluorescent light and contrary to what has been advertised, HO t5 illumination is not noticeably brighter than VHO. The advantage of t5's is their smaller size and mix'n'match wavelength/color combinations. Separate lights on separate power supplies allow separate timing configurations to mimic "sunrise -> noonday -> sunset" as well as additional blue/nighttime effects.

+ If replacing VHO for HO t5, note that the VHO ballast can run t5. I would have to check on it, but depending on the ballast, what runs one 6' VHO may be able to run two t5's. (smaller diameter means smaller volume, requiring less electrical current) FYI, I have wired together two short tubes on one end, effectively making the two into one long tube powered by a single wired ballast.

+ Rectangular box of water? The last meeting addressed that concept. We learned new ways of aquascaping to make it look like a section of the reef rather than a glass box. The local access to Utah Rock makes this concept all the more simple, easy and affordable.

Aloha Hug
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 11:02pm
Yeah, thats one reason I'm getting away from the VHOs. It is getting harder and harder to find replacement bulbs and I heard that they may not produce them anymore. I'll check on my ballast setup.

Right now all I have is live sand in the tank with no rock.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 12:38pm
Hey Mark. I have the PFO 2x72" VHO ballast. Will this work for T5s? Ideally I'd like to have them stretch the length of the tank so, could I do 4x36" T5s?
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 12:40pm
I'm going with some cheap LEDs and I want to combo this with the T5s.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 12:47pm

Hey Mark. I have the PFO 2x72" VHO ballast. Will this work for T5s? Ideally I'd like to have them stretch the length of the tank so, could I do 4x36" T5s?

I highly recommend not using that ballast for T5s. It will fry the bulbs and you will replace them constantly. Only 60" bulbs have shown long term success on VHO ballasts and even then I don't recommend it.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Get a true t5 ballast and run that instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic