Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crash/help!,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crash/help!,
    Posted: April 17 2014 at 7:44pm
help! my biofilter crashed and i came back to crashing fish, so far have isolated them from the ammonia spike, but somehow over 10ppm ammonia got into tank, may need housing for a few days, located sugarhouse, text 5303133880
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 7:56pm
Drop some Seachem prime in the tank immediately. I will neutralize everything for 48 hours while you perform water changes. Get your carbon and phosguard in check. I'm in Murray and I am about to tear down my tank or I would offer your pets a place to crash for a few nights.

Edited by LakeCityReefs - April 17 2014 at 8:07pm
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 7:58pm
text me
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 8:03pm
only 2 clarki clowns a damsel and lawnmower blenny. plus 1 10 in coral covered rock and a few frags
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 8:04pm
1 capful (5ml) per 50 gal, up to 5 times dose in emergency on the seachem prime.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 8:12pm
that will neutralize 10ppm ammonia?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 9:28pm
phew, set up a seperate system for them so they dont have any ammonia, and dosed prime, how long should it take if my biofilter didnt actually crash but i somehow got a ton of ammonia in the system?
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 9:41pm
10 ml will neutralize 50 gallons just fine. I'm not sure about a bio crash. Was it bio pellets? How old is the setup?
I would remove the media and perform a 50% water change ASAP. Add 10 ml of Prime again after the WC. Perform another 50% WC in 2-3 days.
Try to dose the new water to match your chemistry as close as possible including temperature. I'm assuming this was an established setup. If this is a new setup then you would not want to do large WC. If it's an older setup then you should have established biological to handle trace amounts of ammonia. Older setups should be fine with thae WC and these large WC are only to remove the ammonia ASAP.

Edited by LakeCityReefs - April 17 2014 at 9:44pm
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 10:31pm
thanks, this was a 15 gallon system (10 display 10 sump) with an established refugium of live sand and a bit of rock along with cheato and a diy skimmer that seems to be working just fine. i believe i accidentially added water from my phyto culture that was rich in nutrients still and full of ammonia, so that caused my levels to spike and i caugt it when my clown wasnt doing too well, but thanfully all have survived. i added prime to system and will to a good 50% water change tomorrow when i have time, im incredibly busy this weekend unfortunately. i havent had to dose anything in my tank and havent been using AC as it didnt need it. i do have some left thou if i need to add some.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 8:55am
Sounds like a good plan.
When an unexpected major incident like this happens, leaving the Refugium lights on 24/7 for a week or more is one of the best things for reducing N pollution. Algae eats pollution like crazy. If there is no Refugium, adding a big bunch of Chaetomorpha up close to the lights in the display and leaving the lights on 24/7 also works. (to really speed up the pollution reduction, I've done both)
Algae eats pollution so well that emergency water changes can be reduced or sometimes foregone altogether.
The fish can sometimes handle it without removal to another tank or in serious cases like this, can be re-introduced within 5-10 days.

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic