Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Concept for Classified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Concept for Classified
    Posted: April 20 2014 at 1:47pm
I bought a fish at the local shop and put him in the tank yesterday. They had a bunch of Anthias for sale and I have always really liked them. I wanted a couple but I've overspent my fish money this month.

One of the members posted some in our classified yesterday. I saw them and immediately sent a text. He replied that someone else was interested, but since I'm a paid member I could have first chance at them. I grabbed them immediately and they are now in my tank.

It was nice to see that someone gave a bit of preference to those of us who buy a membership and help fund this activity. I think I'll try that next time I have something to sell.

Fatman
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 2:13pm
I've seen others do this but use the "paid members" section to post the discount or preference. 
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

It was nice to see that someone gave a bit of preference to those of us who buy a membership and help fund this activity. I think I'll try that next time I have something to sell.

Fatman

It has been brought to my attention that I offended some of the guests with the above comment. I apologize, it was not my intention to place anyone into a lesser catagory with my comment. Please accept my sincere apology.

Fatman

Edited by Fatman - April 20 2014 at 11:44pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 11:09am
I always offer up stuff for sale in the paid member area first.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 11:17am
I alot (not always) offer two prices up, one for paid members and one for not. 

J
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 7:40am
Taking advantage of this awesome local forum and not supporting the society that freely provides it. Shocked  $26 contributed to save $100's!!!
And it's not just the money saved via the buy/sell/trade area of utahreefs.com
Even if a hobbyist is not able to attend the WMAS Meetings, they benefit indirectly from the information gained and passed on here by the hobbyists that learned all kinds of good things at the meetings. Smile

It's sort of like buying car insurance. Approve

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Awesome Aragonite Rock and Sand $0.75/lb ($0.50/lb for WMAS Members Wink)
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 8:38am
Threadjack alert!

As someone who can't attend the meetings(I live in Cache Valley), might I suggest a two tier membership format.  $26 for full membership.  $13 for forum only membership(which would allow access to the members only threads).  I'm more than happy to pitch in for what I do get, but I don't think it's fair to pay the same amount if I can't get the same benefits.

My two cents.
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 8:46am
I live less than a half mile from the Rose Garden and still can't make it to the meetings, especially during the school year. I'll pay $26 all day just to be able to use this club for its forum and its collective knowledge.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:13am
Well don't forget half off at fragfests, your tshirt, discounted tickets to MWRF and the banquet, free paid members bbq in Aug along with the benefits everyone enjoys - the forum, free meetings and some awesome raffles. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:35am
Yeah baby! The shirt. I wear mine around to be extra geeky. People usually ask about it so it is fun.
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Yeah baby! The shirt. I wear mine around to be extra geeky. People usually ask about it so it is fun.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

Well don't forget half off at fragfests, your tshirt, discounted tickets to MWRF and the banquet, free paid members bbq in Aug along with the benefits everyone enjoys - the forum, free meetings and some awesome raffles. 

Salt in the wound(see what I did there?).... really really wish I lived closer. Cry
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:41am
Originally posted by aceofspadeskb aceofspadeskb wrote:

Threadjack alert!

As someone who can't attend the meetings(I live in Cache Valley), might I suggest a two tier membership format.  $26 for full membership.  $13 for forum only membership(which would allow access to the members only threads).  I'm more than happy to pitch in for what I do get, but I don't think it's fair to pay the same amount if I can't get the same benefits.

My two cents.

This has been talked about almost every year by the presidency. 

The membership as Jon explained does the meetings and so much more. 

*Discount at certain LFS
*Member appreciation BBQ
*Meetings
   Which includes, speakers, raffle items etc. 
*Paid tshirt and contest we run
*MWRF (Yes this is put on by the club) 
*Half off at frag fest
*Banquets
*Forum 
*Knowledge that comes from the meeting is often shared on the forum (so you are benefiting from the meetings just may not know it. )
*Reef Tour contests
*Misc Contests we do throughout the year

and much much more. 

So the membership is more than just help bringing in speakers and raffles at a meeting. That is only a small part! 

Since it is only a small part we have just decided to keep the one membership. Sorry about that. 

J

PrettymanExotics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrettymanExotics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:42am

Speaking of paid memberships, how exactly do people find out when their membership expires?  Is it automatically on the first of the yr or a yr from purchase date or is it a one time fee?  I dont think anyone has explained that to me before.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:43am
The memberships expire at the end of each year. (Calendar year Jan 1 to Dec. 31) 

J
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:47am
Well, this has turned into kind of a s**t storm, like the person who let me know I was a bit out of line said it would. I wish I never would have brought up the subject.

Fat
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:48am
I think its a great conversation starter Wink

I actually appreciate you bringing it up. People like Ace and Prettyman had questions I dont think would have been brought up otherwise. 

J
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:51am
I think it was great as well!  You were just sharing your experience.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
PrettymanExotics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrettymanExotics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 9:56am
I have to agree with Jeremy.  If it werent for your comment of giving perks to members, and the other person for talking about membership prices, I honestly would not of thought of asking. So it's a good thing. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 10:35am
I think this was good discussion.  Thanks Jeremy for the explanation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic