Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sky High KH/DKH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 7:45am
Aloha Andrew,

If you are testing Alkalinity(Alk at 8-14 dKH/3-5 meqL is the suggested range), you should also be testing Calcium(Ca at 350-550 ppm is the suggested range).
Are you using tap water or purified/Reverse Osmosis(RO) water?

pilotx44, whose name is also Andrew Smile, continued this thread here where he states that he found the reason for his tanks Alk testing at over 14dKH: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71160

Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 7:57am
I was not able to purchase the kit for testing Ca, so I have not been able to test that yet.  I did fill the tank approx. 4 days ago with tap water with the buffer to assist in stabilization.  I am starting to think, this is where I went wrong.  I should have purchased a few gallons of the RO water that is sold around my area.  I am still skeptical on that being the best move though. But it appears that is the way to fix my problem.  So todays task is very simple, find some better water, and change some of it out.

For a 75 gal tank, would 15 to 20 gallons be enough to make a difference?  That is approx. a 20% water change.

I am also sensing that it is not a good idea to attempt to put any types of corals in right now as well.  At least until I get the alk figured out.
75G open canvas
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 8:35am
Good questions. It's nice to see a new person asking these questions so mistakes can be avoided. Thumbs Up

There is really no need to change the water now. In a couple months, use RO water for 10% monthly water changes. A 20% water change changes things by 20%, or less meaning Alk will go down, but not by much because the RO water mixed with salt will still have a dKH of 10. It's not like you are adding saltwater with a dKH of 0/zero. I wouldn't bother with changing water now.

If you follow the method in the link below, you can have coral and fish within a week. I give away the live stuff you need to do it. Call/text me and come visit.

Aloha Hug
808-345-1049
750 E Lakepoint Dr. #4V Murray
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic