Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emergency 1/2" Bulkhead needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wetts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wetts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency 1/2" Bulkhead needed
    Posted: May 11 2014 at 8:24pm
Title says it all... I live in Logan and I came home from a day spent with family with my return bulkhead split.  I am desperate for anything you have.  1/2" bulkhead needed!!!

Thanks!!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 8:44am
I might have one but I'd have to look. I'm probably too far away to help in this emergency but I can suggest some tips for the future. Bulkheads can split when they have been cranked down too tight and/or forced off axis. I've also seen tanks crack when bulkheads are bent off axis by the leverage of a rigid pipe. That's a good reason to use Spa Flex PVC Hose instead of rigid pipe (Schedule 40 PVC pipe is more rigid than Class 200 PVC pipe).

Hopefully there is a powerhead in the tank to keep the water moving while the replacement bulkhead/seal is found.

There are bulkheads that don't tighten with a nut but work awesome. They are called Uniseal. Uniseal is not some crazy new product. It has been used successfully for many years in many applications where a water tight pipe-to-tank or pipe-to-pipe connection is needed. They have an advantage over the common bulkheads because the pipe can wiggle and the seal will not break or leak because they are flexible synthetic rubber.
Here are some links to 1/2" Uniseals.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=89941
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uniseal-5.html
They are less than $2 each. I know, that's such a crazy price that it makes us wonder how it could be any good. All I can say is that Mechanical Engineers developed these things to work for low cost so that companies can make a better profit.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 9:10pm
sorry for posting way late on this, but Mark is dead on.  I tried regular bulkheads on my drums I have on my RO system for storing water, and they never seemed to seal right.  I have uniseals on them now, easy install and they seal great.  I have them on the bottom of two of my 4 55 gallon drums, and will replace the other two drums with them too at the first sign of a leak.  Very cheap, I think I paid around 3 bucks each for the 2 inch ones i use as the outflow from my 55 gallon drums and I have them in the bottom of the drum, so they are under the pressure of a full drum of water, and not even the sign of a sweating on them.  Great product.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic