Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

75G Tank Build Reef Structure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 12:17am
I am working on the wire issue.  It is temporary.  I am going to be placing a set of outlets into the canopy to clean up the wires coming down from the lights and that will take away all of the wires except the heater and the hoses for canister filter until I can get my refuge up and running.

Thanks for all of the tips and pointers.  I am listening and taking notes. 

Andrew
75G open canvas
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 9:07am
You are the man Andrew and I like your plan. Live and learn as if there is anything I have learned in this hobby its not a one size fits all and because it doesnt work for someone else doesnt mean it would work amazingly well for you. Its looking amazing.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 10:31am
I was going to say, a power strip, fastened to the back of the canopy is an okay place to plug in, but I'd recommend against that. There are many things like powerheads, pumps and heaters that need to stay plugged in when the canopy is removed. If power cords are not long enough, use short extension cords.

I've had power strips sitting on the floor near the stand that shorted out when salt water accidentally dripped. To keep water out, I have switched to fastening powerstrips on the wall or ceiling of the inside of the stand. Then I coil the power cords to keep them out of the way. Things can be unplugged with one hand or flip the switch and everything shuts off! Light timers plug in at the end of the power strip allowing access to all the other sockets.

To fasten power strips securely anywhere, remove two screws on opposite ends, drill the open holes all the way through the plastic and use long screws to fasten to the solid wood/metal surface.

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

Mark do you keep macro algae in your display? I have several types now in my refugium as I am striving to make that also a nice looking part of tank although its in the base cabinet. Can you put up some pics of your setup for me.

Rather than hijack this thread but because this may also help Andrew with his build and general reefkeeping, please go here. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64260

Aloha Hug
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 2:00am

So did some rearranging today along with starting the construction on my 10g refuge.

Let me know what you think.

Attached himself to the reef rock, and then decided to move underneath it... getting him out in the morning.
Coral shrimp decided to knock it over... so had to move it a second time.
Moved the other corals around as well.
Moved Mushrooms
Was taking pictures of the Frog Spawn that I moved from the rock to the sand and got this picture of the Clown Fish.
The start of the 10G Refuge.
 Hope you guys enjoy.
75G open canvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 6:20am
Looking good Andrew. I really like the updates that you keep bringing. Enjoying the build and watching your tank come to life.
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 11:10pm
Canopy completed.
75G open canvas
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 2:07pm
Frog Spawn is recovering nicely.
Firefish has held strong.  Rock still has a brown tint to it, but was scrubbed and soaked and dried out.

He isn't as pale and nasty looking as he use to be.  Still coming back though.
Here is a pic of what took over my tank.  Cleaned it up and will monitor to see what happens.

Edited by JBlaze31 - June 02 2014 at 2:11pm
75G open canvas
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 3:59pm
You said, "Rock still has a brown tint to it, but was scrubbed and soaked and dried out." That rock looks totally normal. Doing that to it actually hurt the good life that was just starting to grow on it. I'm just an old hobbyist but as one who has helped an awful lot of new hobbyists, I believe you are worrying about and trying to control things that are actually a necessary and natural growing process of every reef aquarium. I have a suggestion and offer for you before I finally shut up. Please come see me and get some Macroalgae for this tank.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 8:26pm
Mark is spot on Andrew, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Your are almost going to be starting over in your tank with cycling it with your 100% water change and scrubbing of rocks. If you cant get down to see Mark shoot me a text or something and I will head down for you as the macro algae will help significantly reduce your "N" Also since your using a cannister filter this will also help as you know those Nitrate farms. Let me know and I can get with Mark as im going to get some as well.

Thanks guys
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 12:13am
Dennis ad Mark,

Dennis, if you do get the chance to head that way, that would be great.  I would trust that this was a necessary life form in the tank if my levels didn't take a drastic change over night.  Not only that but all of this brown showed up just as quick over night.  Noticing small changes are the reason I look at my tank for almost 1 hour everyday.  Looking for changes in the fish behavior, rock looks, and anything else that might change.  I do appreciate the advice and I hope I didn't wipe this life form out if it was necessary.  I also, have seen many pictures of others tanks, and I don't notice any brown algae growing in any of them.  This is another reason it drew my attention.
75G open canvas
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 8:34am
Shocked Are you kidding?

Sorry for the drama, but I urge you to get more information about how to start up and maintain a reef. Do a search here for brown algae and for Diatoms. You should find plenty of discussion and pics. The brown algae is normal. It is one of the steps of a reef aquarium coming to life. Depending on tank setup variables it disappears somewhere between 2 days to 2 weeks.

In your other thread, you revealed that you are using an Ammonia Detox chemical product. OMG, that is confusing the hec out of the life in the aquarium. In some ways it is starving every living thing in the aquarium and in other ways it is screwing up the water chemistry. I would strongly urge you to get some Macroalgae ASAP and stop using the detox chemical.

Sorry, but one more thing. As I look at the pics, they look kind of dim. Maybe it's just the camera, but what is the lighting over this tank?

Sorry, I hope I'm not going overboard in trying to help.
Aloha Hug
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 2:11pm
The light I have is a T5 HO 2 bulb system.  One Actinic and the other is a white light.  I forget the exact brand but I picked them both up from Aquatic dreams.
75G open canvas
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 8:39am
Just barely enough light for soft coral and LPS coral.
Take notes when ReefdUp/Nikki visits and follow her advice.

Aloha Hug
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 2:10am
Well after about 7 hours of straight work, and 2 weeks of acquiring parts.... it is up and running... not turning the amount of water that I wanted... but that is going to be corrected in a few weeks.... hope you guys enjoy the update...
75G open canvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 6:22am
Looks good, the live algae will help alot with your Nitrates. Make sure and get clamps on the hose ends. One of those ends pops off and your wife wont be happy and again can cause big ole problems. Keep the updates coming. We are here if you have questions.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 8:57am
What kind of light is that?
A strainer is needed for the return pump. Otherwise it easily clogs with small algae strands, for example. I have a strainer that will work. I'll give it to you for free.
What's the stuff in what looks like a back left corner compartment?
I'm confused. It looks like the drain is on the left but what's that it's going through?
This new sump/Refugium is at the side of the tank, right? May we see a pic of the complete setup?

Sorry for all the question. I'm just trying to get a clear idea so I can give better advice.
Aloha,
Mark Hug
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 11:04am
Mark, the Input hose is leading into filtration... some ceramics, some polyester filters, and some carbon.  It then leads into where I have the Live rock, Live sand, and Macro.  After that it leads up to the tank.  The light I am still trying to find a proper one.  It is a basic "daylight" bulb that puts out about 2700K.  You can ask Dennis, day before yesterday I was on the phone with him trying to find the bulb I need.  Plan is to make a 2 part run today to Lowe's and Petco.  Also, it is next to the tank due to a slight height miscalculation on my part when I built my stand.  The return pump is only pumping out to approx. 4 feet.  so I had to place it next to the tank to get the height.  My plan is to build a small stand to place under the tank in the bigger stand to place the tank on and run all of the hoses up behind like I use to have.  But, that will just have to wait until money becomes a little more available.

Dennis, Its not a great shot but I have clamps on any and everything I could add clamps too, to ensure I didn't have a pop off issue. 

Hope this helps.

75G open canvas
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 12:26pm
Okay good. Smile
It's a very useful sump/Refugium. I have a couple ideas on how it could be tweaked to reach it's full potential. Please know that this advice is what I would do. Take whatever ideas seem to fit for you and discard the rest. Wink

1. I would be careful with the inline ceramic/floss/AC canister. When, not if, it gets clogged, the drain will back up and cause multiple problems. It's much safer to have the drain come straight to the sump unrestricted by inline stuff. I assume there is an appropriate overflow that cannot flood the sump or lose siphon and stop flowing? (that's why a pic of the entire setup would be helpful.

2.There is no need for ceramic because all the live stuff in the system does an ideal job of filtration and will increase according to the need. In actual fact that ceramic will end up overproducing Nitrate so I'd remove that from the system altogether.

3. There is little need for filter floss. The stuff that comes down from the display feeds the Refugium. As a population of bugs (mostly Copepods, Amphipods and Mysid Shrimp) grows in the Refugium, their spawn feed the animals in the display.

4. Activated Carbon is always necessary in a marine aquarium. AC removes toxins that slow growth and impede biological processes. A loose bag of AC placed next to or draped over the return pump strainer(must be a strainer) will adequately pass water over the AC to remove toxins. An occasional turn of the bag changes the water flow past the AC pellets, extending its usefulness.

5, The light looks dim. I would get a larger wattage twist PC bulb of the Daylight color(>6000K), not soft white (which is what that kind of looks like). An appropriate daylight colored LED would also work but I believe they still don't last long enough to justify the cost.

6. For the sump/Refugium I would place and inch of Oolitic Sand in the Refugium because 1" of Oolitic does as much filtration as 3" of larger particle sand. I would also move the sand/rubble from the corner compartment into that main area. The drain hose could then be placed in the corner where it would not stir up the sand.

7. Evaporation will quickly drop the water level in the Return Pump area. For this reason I would remove the last baffle. I would place the return pump on a pedestal or hanger so it's off the sand and closer to the surface. This will make top-off less tedious and ensure that the Refugium does not run dry.

I know this is a lot. Maybe I've have been at this hobby too long. Wink
Aloha
Mark Hug
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 8:24pm
I am not sure why but it keeps uploading pictures upside down.  I apologize.  But here is an update of what is going on.

Full tank shot with the new background that I purchased today.
Here is a second shot of the tank.
Shot of the new sump set up. This is the first half of the sump.
Here is the second half of the sump.
I also have some corals that I am having a small problem identifying.  They are pretty nice though.  One is a little browned out but, coming back nicely.

All in all I think it is coming together nicely.  I hope everyone enjoys this update.

Edited by JBlaze31 - July 13 2014 at 8:25pm
75G open canvas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic