Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

75G Tank Build Reef Structure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75G Tank Build Reef Structure
    Posted: May 16 2014 at 4:58pm
Here are some pics of my current project.  It is going to be what I hope is a 75 gallon Reef Tank.  I have added 3 live rocks and am going to add more over the next we weeks.  I hope you enjoy the pics, and if you have any advice I am totally open to all help.  This is my first decent size tank, my first tank was a 20 gallon trial but I had to give it up after a few months due to moving. 
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:02pm
My first pic is my leak test after buying the tank.  The second, third, and forth pics are after I made my own built stand.  The last one is from the other night just after I got the pump, heater, and power head installed.  I just added 3 live rock today and hope to add pics of them along with sand in the next few days.
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 7:48am
I am also keeping a journal of all of my testing and anything that I notice, as I build my tank.  I am going to use this to establish my baseline and hopefully, be able to assist with anyone else that might join the hobby as I did.
75G open canvas
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 4:07pm
Here are the updates for today.

I started out testing this morning, and received unexpected results.  My tank had already "cycled" one time and was stable.  I have only had the pump running for 4 days.  This afternoon and this evening I will be adding some new renters to the domain.  We will be adding a large piece of live Red Reef Rock, 1 coral banded shrimp.  We replaced the lights to meet the specs needed for the live coral rock.  I also placed sand into the bottom of the tank to give to give it some cushion.  Will be adding more decorations tonight, but have to clean them very thoroughly.  Will post pics of that later.  Hope you guys enjoy the photos.

Coral Banded Shrimp and 4 Red Cortez Hermit Crabs.
a shot of the old live Fiji rock in its new location
My piece of Red Reef Rock

75G open canvas
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 7:55pm
This is a shot of the tank after letting it settle for 24 hrs.  Sand looks awesome, reef setup still needs some more rock but is building nicely, all 5 crabs and the coral banded shrimp settled in nice.  They have found homes right on the center section of red reef rock and live rock I was given last night.

Ran all of the test today and they came out with the same results as yesterday.  It appears that I just need to trade some water out in the next few weeks to get the alk down and it will be a super happy place.

Hope everyone is enjoying following.  I will post pics of fish over the next couple of weeks.
75G open canvas
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:55am
It is looking good. Patience as not much good ever happens fast in salt water / reef tanks. It was great talking with you the other night. I hope your wife didn't put you out on the couch lol jk.
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:25am
Nope, everything is good.  Enjoyed visiting with you guys.  Your tank looks awesome. 
75G open canvas
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 12:26am
So we took the time today to add on some new friends to the tank.  Hope you guys enjoy.

Full shot with add corals
Typical but its Dorie... my daughter named all the fish.
Elsa and Nemo the Clown Fish
A better shot of a couple of the new corals.
75G open canvas
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 3:07am
"The tiniest Dorie" she was so cute carrying the fish around. They look good
Creating my own ocean
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 7:23am
Wow, she is cute and tiny too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 3:50pm
It looks really good. Is that frogspawn I see a head or 2 of. I have to find a little Hippo now too jees you could have warned me before my baby saw it lol. Awesome job and say hi to the family.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 3:56pm
We still have some at Aquatic Dreams and we are running our sale still
Creating my own ocean
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 4:38pm
It is a double head of frogspawn and yea a Dorie to go with it lol... Got her at aquatic dreams.... Was well worth it.... My daughter was so happy.... And thanks for all your help at AD over the last few weeks.... I know we have been in there a lot....
75G open canvas
JBlaze31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBlaze31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 4:43pm

Putting the canopy together.
75G open canvas
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 5:53pm
Please put vinyl on the back. It hides wires and makes your tank look a million times better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 5:55pm
Lol he did say please :)

Edited by Reefer4Ever - May 24 2014 at 6:00pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 6:49pm
LOL Yep.
I agree. Personally, I like a somewhat open back, without pictures or vinyl, but then I'm the guy with all the amazing Utah Rock that can be used not only to hide stuff, but to make the tank look more like a part of a reef. Utah Rock and Sand is awesome. The rock I have been collecting lately, colors up with green, pink and purple Coralline Algae in just a few months, faster than any Utah Rock I've used previously. EmbarrassedOne more shameless plug for Utah Rock - it completely covers with beautiful Coralline Algae. LR from the ocean mostly just grows patches of Coralline.

That said, I'd definitely gather all the wires together and put a nail/hook on the back of one end of the hood. All the wires would then come down one back corner. Of course, and you may have heard me say this before, I would also remove the canister filter which would, firstly, eliminate the green vinyl tubing. Secondly, canisters are great for freshwater tanks, but for saltwater they are, sadly, the source of excess Nitrates. Nitrate Factories, we call them. Not to mention how the water they move is almost nothing compared to a good powerhead, like a 1300 gph $20 MJ1200 placed down low to move the water up for that "invaluable gas exchange."

The tank is taking shape and looking good. Smile "Please" add some pretty Macroalgae for color, food, movement, cover and variety. In case you haven't heard, I give away pretty Macroalgae. Yup, free.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 7:08pm
Mark do you keep macro algae in your display? I have several types now in my refugium as I am striving to make that also a nice looking part of tank although its in the base cabinet. Can you put up some pics of your setup for me.

Thanks,
Dennis
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 7:58pm
If you plan on having any Tangs I would get some calurpa going in the display now. The tangs will mow it down and help them acclimate to your system. I pull calurpa out of my fug and put it in the display for my Tangs at least once a week.
In my opinion Plorifera macro algae looks great in a display. Unfortunately I can't keep it there because it's eaten overnight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 10:11pm
I know that feeling although it is great fun to give them a nice treat once a week or so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic