Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QT tank options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QT tank options
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 9:12am
I recently read ReefdUp's discussion from last year on quarantine tanks and I have a few questions comments. I'm hoping that after this thread I can determine which way I want to go with this.

I have lost several fish over the last few months and I am thinking that I am battling ich or velvet. I use garlic religiously and watched it improve fish but it is not a cure all. There is no pattern to when i will lose a fish, some have only lasted a few days and some have lasted a few months. 

I would like to setup a QT tank in my living room next to my display tank. I am thinking about a 40 gallon with a sump. The issue is that while reading the other thread on QTs there was mention of using a tank to tank method, I cant setup 2 additional tanks. I am also wondering if a sump is a bad idea on a QT.

I was hoping to go the hyposalinity route. How could I keep this tank presentable in my living room and still have it be a QT? Could it be a fish only with bare bottom and live rock? Could I introduce fish to the hypo conditions as I purchase them and keep other fish in there as well?

What exactly does Amquel do? 
Is it bad to leave fish in a 1.018 salinity for extended periods of time?
Would it be bad to have multiple fish in a Qt because some fish may get Amquel or Prazipro treatment wjhen they really didnt need it?

Any help or ideas you could offer would be great.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 9:20am
I'm at work right now, but I'll try to reply during my lunch. I'd love to discuss it. :)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 9:27am
These questions are why I have never set up a qt tank. If you don't do the two tank method it is pretty much pointless if you plan to purchase more fish during your treatment of others. Every time you add a new fish you start the qt process over for the ones that are already in there. You can't add live rock as it will kill the bacteria and cause a ammonia spike. I don't see the point of adding a sump you can't have a refuge or live sand/live rock. Fish can go along time in hypo and be just fine but nothing else will live in there like inverts etc. I am not sure about the medication but I can't imagine you would want to treat those that are not infected.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 9:33am
However with all that being said I do commend people that have the time patience and dedication to set up a rigorous qt process. It is proven to reduce fish deaths.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 12:28pm
Personally, I have 3 x 10g tanks for fish QT. If you go with the tank transfer method for treatment, most fish will be just fine in a 10g tank, alone, for 12 days. If you go with hyposalinity or multiple fish, then I'd go with a larger tank.

More than anything, I recommend a freshwater dip for all new fish. A simple 5-15 minute dip in freshwater with methylene blue will remove quite a variety of pests and treat for various shipping issues.

The next thing is a several day bath in PraziPro, which is reef safe in most cases. Easy enough.

Hypo is what I used to use, but it takes forever, you can't use all meds with it, and some fish don't tolerate it well (although it is still better IMO than copper.)

I wouldn't add a sump since you need to be able to easily bleach the system. I only add sand for the fish that burrow and rock for shy fish. Otherwise, they just hide detritus that can lead to ammonia spikes. Hypo won't allow you to establish a good biofilter, so regular cleaning and an ammonia remover (Amquel) is essential.

With treatment, you can't add fish...otherwise you have to start over. I treat all fish with a freshwater dip, methylene blue, Furan-2, tank transfers, and PraziPro. Last I read, 75-80% of all fish in the hobby have internal parasites, and PraziPro is the treatment for most. The only thing I dislike using is Furan2 since it's an antibiotic, and overuse can decrease the effectiveness.

Running at true hypo (1.011 if I remember correctly off the top of my head) can hurt fish if kept there for an extended time. Many people run fish only tanks at 1.018 with no problems, but I see no point in that except saving on salt. Either run higher or lower.

Hope that helps get you pointed in the right direction.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 4:05pm
Whatever route you decide to take, I guarantee you wont regret qt'ing your fish. Ive lost a few of the more sensative fish while going through the learing curve of qt. But compared to all the fish I lost from disease in my main tank, its a drop in the bucket (dollar wise). After running my main tank fallow for 10 weeks, and qt'ing all new fish, all my fish are eating great, have bright colors, clear & full fins, and no white spots! Well worth it!
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 5:27pm
I'd like to point out one more thing...there's a difference between quarantining and treating fish. QTing is just keeping the fish isolated and observing them for illness. Treating is exactly that...treating for problems.

Anything is better than just throwing a new fish into your tank. I'll be happy hearing anything more than that.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 6:06pm
Ok so I guess what I was intending to do was being able to remove the fish from my main tank to allow whatever diseases are present to die off. During this time I would place my fish into the 40 for a hypo salinity treatment of 6 weeks and then gradually bring the salinity up to match the main tank for 2 weeks.

So here's my plan:
1. Remove fish from display (1.025 Sal.).
2. Freshwater dip for 10 mins with parasite treatmemt.
3. Place into QT at 1.025 Sal.
4. Reduce sal. to 1.015 over 2 week period.
5. Leave fish in QT at 1.015 for 4 weeks.
6. Perform weekly 50% water changes.
7. Raise salinity in QT back to 1.025 over a 2 week period.
8. Return fish to display if not showing any issues.
9. Clean QT

I guess what you all need to know is that my main display is full n of coral and by adjusting the salinity in the QT .001 each day in the QT it will actually be getting more of a water change than 50% each week. I intend to treat the QT with Prazipro.

Once I start to purchase fish I will probably add a smaller tank below the main QT so when I do get new fish I can perform the 12 day tank switching method. The 12 day program won't help me to start with now because my main tank needs to sit fish less for a few weeks to eliminate any ich and or velvet.

How do you guys think the plan is shaping up so far???
Thanks again for the advice.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:26pm
Looks well-thought, but I would make these changes:

Do the freshwater and methylene blue dip for only 5 minutes. 0.4ml methylene blue per gallon of water.

Drop the specific gravity by 0.005 per day...this is safe to do going down...BUT NOT GOING UP. You can only go up by 0.002 per day.

A specific gravity of 1.015 is not low enough to kill ich. I need to look up the exact level in my notes...sorry...on my phone.

Hyposalinity won't treat velvet. If you want to treat velvet, we need a more-revised plan.

I would get some Furan-2 to have on hand in case they start showing signs of infection.

I would get an ammonia alert badge for the tank.

I don't know what all fish you plan to have in the tank, but you have to hold the specific gravity low for 6 weeks. 50% water changes weekly may not be sufficient to keep the ammonia low enough since there is no biofiltration. I usually had to do 20% changes daily. Why do you seem reluctant to use an ammonia detoxifier? It's pretty much the same stuff we all used to make tap water safe in our newbie days.

Use PraziPro only at regular salinity.

Instead of using rocks, I use PVC for the fish to hide in. It's easier to clean and won't store chemicals.

I'm glad to see you're considering all this. Your fish will thank you.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 8:51pm
I will use the Ammonia detox and what ever else is required. What are my medication options to treat parasites and leave the QT with the same salinity as my display? I would like to avoid copper.
I know my fish have ich. I'm not sure if that's all they have.

The reason I am so determined to do this is because I have killed hundreds of dollars worth of fish in the last 6 months. Funny how things go, as a newbie I am able to keep sps right from the start and am even able to bring poor looking sps back to life, but I'm a fish killer :(

I want to start purchasing more expensive fish as soon as I can figure out how to keep Tham alive for longer than 4 months.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 9:04pm
If you want to keep the salinity the same as your display without copper or two tanks, I think your only other real option is chloroquine diphoshate. I have some, but I've never used it. It's supposed to be pretty good and easy, but it is pricey and hard to come by. Formalin doesn't work the best, and it's even harder to keep at the right concentration than copper.

Don't feel bad...I lost some amazing fish all at once years ago. I swore I wouldn't have that happen to me again. Of course, I've still lost a few during QT (almost all were killed by Vibrio), but at least I haven't killed my display.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 4:59am
Ok...checked my notes. You'll have to keep the salinity at 14ppt (1.011 specific gravity) for six weeks to kill ich.

Edited by ReefdUp - May 30 2014 at 5:00am
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 8:11am
Originally posted by LakeCityReefs LakeCityReefs wrote:

I know my fish have ich. I'm not sure if that's all they have.
The reason I am so determined to do this is because I have killed hundreds of dollars worth of fish in the last 6 months. Funny how things go, as a newbie I am able to keep sps right from the start and am even able to bring poor looking sps back to life, but I'm a fish killer :(
I want to start purchasing more expensive fish as soon as I can figure out how to keep them alive for longer than 4 months.
Aloha Eric,
There is Ich in my system too, but I have not lost any fish to the parasite or any disease in a long time. Yours is certainly a frustrating situation. I don't remember hearing about this before. Removing the fish to a Hospital Tank for 6+ weeks and using QT thereafter are very useful options, but I am a believer in looking at all possible options before taking action.

Though this may take some investigation to pinpoint, the solution could be something quite easy. Smile

There are dozens of experienced hobbyists in the WMAS. If you would like to get feedback on the possibilities, why not consider editing the Topic Heading and OP or maybe post in a new Topic to reflect your interest in looking at all the possible causes and solutions? Remember to post a pic of the tank along with your husbandry activities and the basic parameters.
That way everyone can chime in to try and help.

Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 30 2014 at 8:18am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic