Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my DIY 150 gal stand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my DIY 150 gal stand
    Posted: June 03 2014 at 6:43am
its all #2 quality 2x4s and 2x6s cost me roughly 45 dollars to build

I plan on enclosing the back and sides but plan on leaving the front open so that the sump is always viewable just because I think its part of the tank and that stuff is interesting to me to look at so why hide it!
Blub Blub
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 6:46am
The top is secured with metal stud hangers as well as the middle cross beams I used 1" screws anytime I used a hanger and 2.5" the rest of the way through if anyone wants my build plans feel free to PM me and I will send them to you.

the stand is 72" long 21" wide and 32" tall.
Blub Blub
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 9:19am
That should work well.

Because of using 2x6 lateral support, you could actually get away without the middle braces, at least the front one. This would allow unobstructed access to the sump. If it was 8 feet long the middle braces would definitely be necessary. A plastic framed glass box aquarium must have solid support on four corners. Yours does that. Thumbs Up

The physics of glass then create the supporting structure for all four sides. The top boards must be perfectly flat or just slightly bowed down in the center. The worst thing is to have the boards bow upwards. This creates a high center. That's what causes glass panels to crack.

A full floor for that stand to sit on would be a good thing. This spreads out the weight over a larger area and also allows a very important safety feature, a flood pan. The chance that water will leak out of the plumbing or that the sump will overflow is always a possibility. Placing a plastic sheet or pond liner inside and up the insides of the bottom frame will keep that water contained.

Did I see that the 150 is drilled in two center spots? If so, that's a little inconvenient. Would you like some ideas on how to deal with it? Also, if you are going to paint the back then I would also paint the bottom. To do the job it is supposed to do, the bottom sand needs to be in darkness. I would not paint the sides because there are too many good views from the sides of a tank. Smile

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 03 2014 at 9:24am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 10:12am
I plan on having a really deep sand bed about 4-5 inches as well I will only have really good lighting over about 1/3rd of the tank were I plan on doing a floating reef the one over flow that is alone on the one side will be plugged and I will only be using the one on the opposite side that has the return drilled next to it and using it as a pillar to help support the floating reef I want it to look like an ocean shelf if that makes any sense
Blub Blub
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 1:26pm
I wouldn't use in-tank plumbing to support anything. If something went awry, and it always does, the aquascaping would have to be removed for repair. Also, at the bulkhead where pipes go though holes in the glass, that is the weakest point of the tank. Any pressure/force in that area will either leak or in the worst case will crack the glass.

Below are old pics of a local hobbyists tank where the sand bed was almost 6" of Utah Oolitic Sand. This tank had amazing coral growth, probably due to the DSB. Low pH at the bottom of a DSB causes sand to dissolve which feeds Alk, Ca and Mg to the tank, working the same action as a Calcium Reactor. If you choose to use Utah Sand and Rock I'll give you a sweet deal on it.

Aloha Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic