Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clown fish help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 2:14pm
ok ill try the peas, frozen or caned?, also his stomach now looks sunken in, it seems like it is swollen after a full day of feeding then back to normal or sunken in like it is now, in the morning?
90 gallon mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 5:21pm
Did you not read the link I gave earlier? Wacko fresh frozen.

Forget the peas. Now we know that you are indeed overfeeding.

Have you read either of the two links that I referred you to?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 6:52pm
Still think its OK, just overfed.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 7:09pm
The swirling still has me worried. Is it still doing that?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 7:19pm
no its not swimming in circles anymore, and yes i skimmed threw them Ouch
90 gallon mixed reef
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

The swirling still has me worried. Is it still doing that?

That is a concern, but he is feeding flake food witch can cause bloating and abnormal swimming.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 8:08pm
yeah i just ordered some new life spectrum sinking pellets
90 gallon mixed reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 9:42pm
Awesome. Glad to hear it. Those are good pellets.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:12pm
now i have another problem, the bigger black clown fish is chasing the black onyx around the tank relentlessly and bitting her, at first they were fine with each other but now this, i think it might have to do with the anemone, should i separate the two or will this stop, they are doing this little shaking thing every now and then to each other but im afraid he might kill her, what should i do?
90 gallon mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 8:04am
You are doing great to bring this up. Thumbs Up
Did you know that the larger clownfish is the female? Yep, the smaller one is the male. All clownfish grow this way as they live together. The larger, female clownfish is always the dominant one of the pair. This chasing and shimmying means that she likes him.

Don't worry, she won't hurt him too bad.Ouch It's part of the pairing up process. The shimmying is part of it. It's all kind of a love dance. Approve You can help keep the aggression from going overboard by getting a long thin stick and when she looks like she is being too mean, try to poke at her with the stick and chase her a little. Don't worry, she won't let herself be poked but when she chases him and you poke and chase at her it will scare her a little. Each time this happens she will learn a little better that you don't approve of that action. You are the Alpha (click and read). Usually 30-60 minutes of your stick training will be enough to help them be friends and not be so rough with each other. Please read this Reefkeeping Tip, don't just skim it, read it because it goes into a little more detail about the whole new fish and training thing. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34014

You are becoming a great hobbyist.

In 1997 I had a pair that were so rough in the mating dance that his lower jaw got ripped/broken. She was not as rough with any of the other 4 clownfish in the tank because she really liked him the best. In time his jaw healed, I sold the other four and a year later they had babies. Below is a pic of him caring for the eggs.

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 18 2014 at 8:13am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 5:25pm
but they have been paired up for a while before i got them? so i figured all that would be done with, but now the female has control of the anemone at night and things have calmed down so i figured that was it.
90 gallon mixed reef
dbb123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbb123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Originally posted by 1stupidpunk 1stupidpunk wrote:

...try smaller feedings of things that don't float on the surface...
What do you guys think would be the best food for a clownfish? What is their natural food on the reef? What food would be less likely to cause a blockage in the digestive tract?

i have 5 different clowns, one of which i got from reef boy (thanks, he is doing well!), and i feed them omega one micro pellets, which they seem to like, and do really well on.

Edited by dbb123 - June 20 2014 at 11:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic