Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clown fish help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clown fish help
    Posted: June 15 2014 at 9:46pm
I just bought a pair of clown fish and they were fine when I got them home but now one has a huge belly, is it just full?
90 gallon mixed reef
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 9:59pm
Following

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 10:19pm
? What do I do?
90 gallon mixed reef
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 10:28pm
I dont know hence im following. Sounds lime it might have to do with the swim bladder. Is the other one fine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2014 at 10:33pm
Yeah the other one seems good, and the one with the big belly seems good also besides that, I feed them 3 times so I'm hoping he is just really full
90 gallon mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 6:55am
Huge belly - No, it's not just full. Food gets digested and within ~4 hours the belly returns to normal size. What is being fed? Did the pair come from the LFS or another hobbyist? I was thinking of heading north to Layton and Clearfield today. Would either of you welcome a reef Geek visitor? If so, please call/text me.
Mark Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 5:35pm
He came from someone, i am feeding him prime reef flakes by ocean nutrition, and occasionally frozen brine shrimp.
90 gallon mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 6:01pm
Not a very good pic but his belly is pretty big.

90 gallon mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 8:58pm
she is looking worse, swimming kinda in circles, i think she has swim, should i skip feeding for a few days?
90 gallon mixed reef
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 8:59pm
I think its OK. I'm leaning toward heavy feeding/really full. Clownfish are "pigs" when it comes to eating, Be careful with flake food as I have seen them eat until they float on there side from eating to much. Don't feed them for a day and its full belly should go away.   
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 9:46pm
When my clowns were much smaller one of them had a tendency to swallow air during feedings and looked like his stomach was always bulged out. As long as it doesnt appear to affect his ability to swim I wouldnt worry to much, try smaller feedings of things that dont float on the surface...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 1:37am
Ok thanks, I'll skip feeding for a day or so and get some sinking pellets
90 gallon mixed reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 6:04am
Originally posted by 1stupidpunk 1stupidpunk wrote:

...try smaller feedings of things that don't float on the surface...
What do you guys think would be the best food for a clownfish? What is their natural food on the reef? What food would be less likely to cause a blockage in the digestive tract?

Swimming in circles or erratically is not a good sign. I agree that it would be good to stop feeding for a day or more. Fasting promotes good health. It allows the system to clear out and reset.

Aloha Hug
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 7:19am

What is best for our fish and what is found naturally in their environment are not always the same thing. I have yet to see a reef with garlic oil or brine shrimp.

I like to feed my clowns a varied diet of brine shrimp, mysis, and various pods. My pair will also hang out over by the nori clip and wait for my tangs to tear off some peices for them to eat. I also feed them veggie crisps as a treat, they are a bit heavier than flakes and dont seem to give them the bloating that the flakes were.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 8:58am
My long post didn't go through. Try feeding mashed peas. Text me for more info. 850.two2six.3three6six.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 12:08pm
Exclamation I seem to remember hearing long ago about Green Peas to deal with constipation/bloating but had forgotten all about it. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with it, so I did some quick research and found an article which seems pretty good. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_constipated_fish.php

It's good info. Mahalo Nikki. Thumbs Up

I'm taking the rest of my comments, inspired by Geoff/1stupidpunk, back to the recent thread about better foods.  http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68390 This is good discussion.

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 17 2014 at 12:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 12:14pm
should i wait a day or two before i feed him mashed peas or should i try it today?
90 gallon mixed reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 12:17pm
Let me try again.

Swimming in circles is BAD news. It's often a sign of an internal bacterial infection, which is hard to treat at the hobbyist level.

Swim bladder problems are rare in non-deep sea fish. They usually stem from internal bacterial infections...see above.

I wouldn't recommend trying to treat with antibiotics or puncturing the swim bladder at the novice level. Peas can help clear blockages, so let's just hope there's a blockage. I would stop feeding other foods for a couple days as well. Then, resume with sinking pellet food. Eventually go to a nice frozen mix that includes protein and veggies.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 12:21pm
Try the peas ASAP.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2014 at 12:40pm
+1 ASAP. It's a blessing the fish has lasted this long. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic