Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My fish are sick!!! Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 7:27pm
So should I just put him in the quarantine tank then? I wasn't able to find formalin so I got rid ich plus which has 11.52% formalin and machine green. To medicate in the qt tank. Should I just put that in the quarantine tank or do a higher dose and use it as a dip?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 8:02pm
I'm sorry. The last time I can remember having Brooklynella was 8 years ago. I guess I've been lucky, so I'm not much help. I'd try any treatment now and then hope that ReefdUp chimes in. She knows a lot more about it.

Unhappy
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 8:45pm
Sorry for the delay. My phone was pretty much dead, so I had to wait until I could get to my computer.

If you're going to do this right, you'll have to treat ALL of your fish outside of the aquarium in a QT tank. Otherwise, any remaining fish and the water will harbor remaining parasites to reinfect your treated fish.

Formalin is pretty much the only thing I know that works on Brook. Other things help, but "help" is the key word. I've only ever used 37% Formaldehyde Formalin. As a rule, I avoid Malachite Green. That's some nasty stuff. I worry that if you triple the dosage of the "Rid Ich" that you'll overdose the fish on MG. (Side note...that's some interesting marketing for formalin and MG to be considered a treatment for ich....) Anyway.

Freshwater won't do a whole lot. It might knock a couple of the parasites off, but it's probably not enough to be worth the stress. A methylene blue freshwater dip may help get more oxygen to the fish since brook usually attacks the gill area first. And yes, pH is extremely important to match. I use dechlorinated tap water for freshwater dips since its pH is closer to tank water than RO water.

Hyposalinity doesn't kill off the parasite. It just helps the fish exert less energy maintaining osmotic balance and helps the effectiveness of antibiotics. Note...Brook usually leaves some nasty lesions that will need an antibiotic. I like Furan-2.

Copper is not effective.

Back to Formalin. If I were to treat the fish, this is what I would do.

Treat a QT tank (new saltwater at proper salinity, temp, & pH) with Furan-2. Prepare a 1 gallon dip (new saltwater at proper salinity, temp, & pH) with 1-2 tsp Formalin (depending on the fish). Aerate this dip well, and add the fish. Leave the fish in for 30-60 minutes (depending on stress level), then move the fish to the QT tank. In 24 hours, prepare a second QT tank like the first along with a second bath. Place the fish into the bath, then move the fish into the new QT tank. Bleach the old QT tank and rinse. Wait two days, then repeat this process again. Wait three days, then repeat this process again. Wait four days, then repeat the process. Now, leave the fish out of the main display for 6-8 weeks to allow the parasites to die from lack of a host. Use Amquel daily in the QT tanks to prevent ammonia poisoning.

You'll note that my recommendations differ somewhat from other recommendations online, and that's for a few reasons. First, up until 2006, Brook species were only documented on marine fish, not free-living (it was originally discovered in 1970). This is why I advocate the tank transfer method since you may have a free-living species. I also recommend more treatments up front and gradually lessening. This is a nasty parasite without a direct life cycle. Treating every three days or whatever as other people recommend assumes a steady life cycle. Instead, I prefer to knock out as much as possible as quickly as possible. Three days between treatments is just too long, and there are plenty of people who had infections return.

Ok...so "Rid Ich"... well...if it's the best you've got, then this sounds like the best treatment protocol:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046945

You could do a bath instead of the dip, which is longer time at a lower dose. Keep the QT tank out of sunlight (or any light really), since it'll break down the formaldehyde. Also keep anything treated with formalin less than 80*.

And...as mentioned...these treatments can easily kill the fish before the parasite. Formaldehyde (and MG) is nasty, so use caution while dosing.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 8:59pm
Okay so I really don't have a lot of money, so what I have is a 20 long that I set up with new salt water. I got the rid ich because I wasn't able to find formalin.
The livestock I have left are 1 clown (not doing well) flame angel (not doing well) hippo tang (acting normal but still sick) yellow tang (acting alright), yellow coris wrasse (not infected), cleaner wrasse (not infected) firefish (not infected)
So I was thinking of getting all the fish out and put them in a bucket with tank water with some methalyne blue. Then pass them to the qt. which has the rid ich.

I can't really set up another tank since I don't have an ro unit.
Will prime help with the ammonia?

Or should I just take out take out the infected fish and leave the 3 fish in the display. I'm thinking of leaving them in there & just keep dosing the marine max since it supposed to help their immune system. If I do this I'm thinking it could be better since they all won't be cramp inside a small tank, less ammonia in the tank as well. & the "healthy" fish don't have to go through the stress of being move and being in an uncycle tank
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 9:31pm
I highly doubt you have any 'uninfected' fish. They are probably just not showing signs/symptoms.

Prime is fine for saltwater. Amquel works with formalin.

I can only tell you how to do it right. I can't tell you if what you want to do will work. Buckets, heaters, and air stones work just fine for QT. No need to break the bank.

Think of it like this... You are sick and go to the doc. The doc prescribes a treatment plan with medicine. Instead of following that advice, you go to the dollar store and find some other drug with the same active ingredient, but it also contains all sorts of herbs, etc. Without studying that medicine for that condition, the doc can't tell you if that will work. It might. It might not. If it's the best you can do, then that's the best you can do.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 11:07pm
Can I used tap water for water changes in the qt or do I have to used Ro
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 1:57am
If tap water is what you have, use it.
I'm happy to give you all the free RO water you need but I'm probably too far away to make it practical. Maybe there is someone closer that will offer RO water.
Isn't Nikki AWESOME ! Clap The more I get to know her, the more I love her. Heart

Aloha Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 4:13pm
I can get to from liverocknreef since I bought a 5 gal jug.

Well the last clown past away.
The flame angel colors are coming back so I'm hoping for him to recover
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 11:00am
Just to update how things are going.
The clown didn't make he was too sick
Flame angel was doing great, he was a lot better than when I took him out. Had great colors buy one morning he was dead Died about 5 days ago
Hippo & yellow tang are doing great. They only have a few spots left on them.

Cleaner wrasse die on main display, I had to break down the rock structures so the next day he got stuck between rocks and die.
Yellow wrasse still on main display, not showing any symptoms still, eating and swimming great
Firefish still in main display, not showing any symptoms, eating and swimming great
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 8:31pm
Tanks for the update.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 10:45am
hey Dan, I have 200 gallons of RO water in my drums so come get all you need.  You can even borrow my 5 gallon totes to take it home.

Also, I have a I think 50 gallon tank that was a turtle tank you can borrow to use as another QT tank.

I live in Riverton, so if you are in West Valley I am straight down Bangatar from you.  If you want my address text me and I will text it back to you   801-403-8625.  I will be home until probably 4 pm today
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 11:06am
Thanks   Bmac2 for the offer but I think I got it under control right now.
I'll let you know if I need anything
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 12:31pm
So the tangs have been in the qt tank for 4 weeks now. The yellow tang has shown any symptoms for the past 2 1/2 weeks. The hippo tang has some white spots still, they had Gone away before but came back again. She looks stress in such of a small tank. Do you guys think I should just transfer them into the display tank?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic