Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

General questions for my first big tank!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: General questions for my first big tank!
    Posted: June 17 2014 at 10:13pm
1) I was wondering what would be a good way to suspend my rockwork a good 4-6 inches off my sand bed as well if since it will be suspended what the best method of cementing the rocks together would be?

2) Im not a big fan of SPS, what are some odd coral that get cool 'wavy' polyps that aren't seen too often in tanks.

3) Can some one please if they have time and are close come by the second week of July to help me plan the plumbing, I don't have a lot of money to put into this each month so I want to get it right the first time.
Blub Blub
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 6:09am
1. One way is to support the rockwork on PVC pipe framework.
2. My favorite (and not too often seen) wavy polyp coral is Pulsing Sinularia which is a leather coral.
3. I might be able to help the first week of July. I don't know what my work schedule will be yet though.

Mike

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 10:22am
I agree with the pvc if it were me I would build the structure and then cover the pvc with sand.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 10:47am
Aloha Lasse,

There are only a few people left in the hobby locally who know much about this. This kind of innovation that you are doing Thumbs Up seems to have almost disappeared. Maybe that's because of the variety of AIO tanks and commercial products available today, but here is a little something I dug up for you: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29830
Enjoy and see ya real soon.
Mark Hug
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 18 2014 at 11:20am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 11:00am
If I recall Dion had a special rock created by Vidarock for his. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 11:15am
Dion is still using it in his current tank. It was pricey though.

Rather than glue sand to the artificial structure, make it out of darker materials. I used grey PVC sprinkler nipples so it blended in with the background shade. This lead to people commenting that it had the appearance of floating.

Tonga branch or similar long thin rock can be used, but it's nowhere near as stable as an artificial structure, even if the rock is glued together. Rock can break, joints can break apart and because it's heavy it cannot be easily moved.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 11:43am
I kinda want to stay away from PVC since I want the rock work pretty high up I was wondering if acrylic bars would work or if maybe I could make an acrylic ledge and glue that to the glass if that would hold the 60-75lbs of rock?
Blub Blub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic