Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banggai Cardinal Breeding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banggai Cardinal Breeding
    Posted: June 28 2014 at 8:22pm
My Banggai's have bred twice, the first time we didn't catch the male before he let the babies out, and we never saw them after we noticed him eating again. The second time around we caught him after we could see the babies moving in his mouth. Got him netted and placed in a breeder basket that suctions to the side of the tank, he promptly spit them out. Got him out of the breeder basket and started to feed the babies freshly hatched brine shrimp(this was also a first, so I doubt I did everything as well as I could have) There were about 40 of them to begin with, they were eating the baby brine shrimp, which I kept in a small cup with a twist on lid. I don't know if that was the right move or not. I also was able to get them to eat smashed up thera+ pellets. So, in the end, a giant turbo snail climbed up the net, tipped it and now the babies are fish poop. I am thinking about getting a small nano tank for breeding and would love some advice from someone that has already done it.
RSM 250
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 9:31pm
I love the little breeder box in the tank method.  I'd find another way to do that.  I may still have a couple, I'll have to check.  If not, making your own box to replace that breeder basket is the way to go.  Hang it over the side, not suction cups.  

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2014 at 10:29pm
I liked the idea too...same water, etc. But the mesh got so caked with algae and buildup it seemed as if it wasn't getting a lot of flow. That, and the snail being an accessory to homicide; and possibly cannibalism
RSM 250
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 7:54am
Bangaii Cardinals. Heart  I've raised them and have two spawning pairs right now. Give me a call/text. I left my contact info in your other thread. BTW, 40 is a very large spawn. Thumbs Up

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 12:58pm
Hey thanks everyone! 
Mike- I will get in touch with you soon! I really appreciate it
RSM 250
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 3:52pm
Mike took the pics of my Bangaii (for TOTM 11/2008), but my name is Mark. Smile
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 6:27pm
LOL, sorry Mark! I was just looking at the name on the pics ;)

RSM 250
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 8:00pm
Mike is an awesome guy. You can call me Mike if you want. Wink
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 4:43pm
I have a breeder tank. (20g separated) from when I was breading that works awesome. You hook it into your main system for water flow.
I will give it to you if you are interested in breeding them.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 8:00am
Dion- that would be great! I would have to see how I could get it to work with my current system, I have a Red Sea Max 250, and not many additional add ons work with it. Can you send me a pic?
RSM 250
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 7:29pm
Let me see what I can find. Its in storage at the moment.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Cowan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 10:46am
Mark- how did you handle raising babies from different times? I have 4 that are about 8weeks then I just added a few more new ones. I don't know how well they will get along though
RSM 250
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2014 at 4:50pm
They should be okay together
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic