Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15 gallons of awesomeness!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15 gallons of awesomeness!!!!
    Posted: July 10 2014 at 9:32pm
So as me and my wife lady are getting back into the hobby, we were so lucky to pick up a 15 gallon tank from Mark, he also gave us a light but I'm probably going to get a small led system in a few months after my bike sells (someone buy it Wink lol.) Right now it is a 24 watt single pc with a ecoxotic panorama, blue led strip I kinda pieced together, Magna style. It looks good but not quite blue enough for me. I have some pictures to put up, mind you it was all done blindfolded (new utah sand blowing around everywhere) but we think it turned out great. I have one MJ600 on the bottom just kinda blowing up and I have the glass flea thing a ma jiggers all over the place, I counted close to 60 after work today. I will be adding cleaners tomorrow.

And a video of the fleas will be uploaded later.

And check out these salt water bad boys, straight from the Alaskan gulf.

How big of a tank do I need to breed these?? :P
15gal self contained. LED.
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 9:34pm
Looking for coral currently and some fish too. Ill keep people updated... :D
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 11:47am
Give it time to cycle before throwing a big bioload in
Blub Blub
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 4:05pm
It has activated carbon and a ton a macro algee, it has already gone through the cycle it was going too. :D po3 and po4 his .01ppm and then went right away.
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 4:08pm
Today I started a cleaner crew, 10 snails and 10 hermits, got two chromis, and I changed my bulb to a 50/50 10k/460 nm, it looks alot better now with the pink gone. I will post pictures later today..
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 7:27pm
Sounds like its doing sweet! cant wait to see more
Blub Blub
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 7:48pm
I should be able to put some more pics up tomorrow.
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 3:02pm
So I was too lazy to put pictures up yesterday. But I did get a feather duster and have been feeding it phyto plankton it has been out the entire time, it is getting along great. I a led fixture on its way for the tank, the only thing I'm still trying to work on, is coral. I have been to bird world, and I was very unhappy with the service there. I asked one question and they said they didn't know, I wasn't sure what I was looking for I shouldn't be there in the first place. That really bothered me as I was just asking what wattage would be best for led moon lights. So I ended up leaving very displeased and spent my money elsewhere online.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 7:42pm
Well, the answer to your question depends on several involved factors so I can understand why they couldn't help right there on the spot. You will find that LFS don't typically have much time to help and from my point of view their help is often misleading because their real job is to take your money. The more money they believe you will spend there, the more willing they will be to help you.

This forum is not like that. We try to help everyone as much as possible, with no ulterior motive. Smile

Because beauty is in the eyes of the beholder some (like me) would say that a blue LED nightlight offers plenty of moonlight effect. Plug the nightlight into an extension cord zip tied to the main light fixture and leave it running 24/7.

Positioned at just the right angle this moonlight does the job economically. BTW, moonlights serve little practical purpose except for our viewing benefit.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

P.S.  If you won't be needing it, I would like to have that PC light fixture and pink-blue tube back. I'll trade for magnetic algae scraper, coral, clownfish, rock, sand, AC, PO4 media, used equipment, etc.

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 13 2014 at 7:46pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 7:59pm
Are these the "fleas" you are speaking of?

Copepod: actual size <1/16"

Amphipod 1/8-1/2"

euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 4:00pm
They are smaller than both of those pics mark, I have a moon light chosen now, I just need to wait for the fixture to get in so I can work on a way for mounting.
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 4:57pm
so the new lights should be here by saturday, so ill update pictures then..
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 5:29pm
Got my led light today, but no damn power supply, huh...
akv123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akv123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 2:12am
That has to be infuriating! ha. I get so excited and impatient with new purchases. I would be so upset to have to wait even a day longer to get it working! I've been know to go to a local store and pay 2-3 times more for a part just so I can have it now!
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:52pm
Yeah it is a 20w 14k led pendant, I have two of them just in case one isn't enough other wise I will place it on here as a trade. I'm just getting tired of having to use this pc fixture, as it will only provide limited growth with only one bulb.
euroking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 8:28pm
So the power supply is in today and can I say. Smirfing awesome. I am so happy with all of the colors. They are all popping like crazy. The shimmer is flawless, better than some MH fixtures I've seen. Pictures are coming soon once, I get my phone charged. Oh and I have my pc fixture for sale.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic