Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish are dying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish are dying
    Posted: July 19 2014 at 3:02pm
I have had my tank up and running for over 2 years, some of my fish are 5 years old and rock solid.  We lost a Whitecheek tang that we had a month.  We had some issues with our pump and it took a few days to get fixed so I thought the changes stressed him out and he died. 

I am in the process of losing my Bullseye Jawfish, we saw him out of his hole this morning sucking air at the top, he is alive but barely.  His eyes are huge and bugged out.  They look like they would burst.  I chalked it up to the stress of pump failure. 

Looking at my tank again today in full light I notice about 2/3rds of my fish appear almost speckled or power coated.  Not sure if it's velvet or ich, doesn't quite look like either (from checking out pictures online).  My sailfin tang I have had for 4.5 years and weathered all storms now looks bad, eyes are starting to bulge and his fins almost look like they are decomposing. 

My first fish ever my Tangerine Clown kinda has the dusted look as well and it appears that a fish or something took a huge bite out of him behind the dorsal fin (has that decomposing look).  My midnight angel and even wrasses all have varying color changes.  Not all fish are effected but this looks to be spreading. I am not sure what it is.  I did notice for last two weeks my Cleaner Wrasse has been working overtime picking off of fish and they were letting him. 

I am not getting really good pictures at this time. 

When we first got the pump back on we noticed a lot of debris came out of the piping, we did a water change, added fresh carbon and even bought filter socks to try to help that out.  I will test other levels but wanted to see if any one had any insights.  I am completely freaked out at losing my tank and these fish that have meant so much.  Sorry this is so wordy, I wanted to get as much detail in as I could.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks
Jon
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 4:25pm
It sounds like either Brooklynella or Uronema based on the symptoms. I'm almost leaning towards Uronema based on the "something took a huge bite out of him" comment.

I don't have time to post more right now, but I hope that gets you on the right track.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 4:55pm
Looking up uronema seems that may be what it is. Two fish look almost like they are decomposing. One the clown is still ok but the sailfin isn't long for this world. Thx. Will see what I can find online.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 4:57pm
Geez that sucks.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 5:06pm
My thoughts... unfortunately many of the fish are toast.  I think you can do the massive catch and QT, but I think the vast majority of people would try to wait it out.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 5:10pm
Yeah I can tell a few are gone in the next two days. My midnight and two trigger appear healthy but have the dusting on them. The triggers tail looks a bit beat up but not bad. My other angel and wrasses and hawk and bar gobies look ok. Working to get some meds in case and get a qt tank going.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 5:15pm
Sorry...only have a second again...

Uronema is in probably every tank. It can live on anything and everything. I think a series of freshwater dips usually will knock it out, but uronema doesn't require a fish. So, you'll always be susceptible. Fish just succumb when they are stressed.

If you can easily catch them, pull them out and get them into a freshwater dip then QT until your tank is steady again.

Double check everything I just said online...I'm on my phone and am going off my best memory.....
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 6:00pm
Thx. I got a 30 g tank I picked up. Will try pulling out the sicker looking fish. Run hypo salinity and see how they do. Will just have to keep an eye out. Hoping I am able to resolve. Thanks for everyone's help.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 8:37pm
I'm curious...why hyposalinity?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 9:05pm
That was a recommendation given. Never had to do this level of care so don't have too much experience.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 9:08pm
Nikki if it is uronema will I ever be able to solve? Will I have to bleach tank and start over? If it's in there with coral and everything else not sure if I can even use the coral again. Hoping for a resolution but seeing other people who have had to start over.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 9:28pm
If I recall, there aren't any studies backing hypo for uronema. I think formalin and freshwater baths are the main techniques. Hypo can be useful to lessen the stress level and help them fight the infection, but it is no cure. A single freshwater dip should take care of most of the infection...then just follow up with a couple more dips to be sure.

Uronema can feed on just about anything, so I bet all of us have it in our tanks. It rarely goes after fish...only in severe cases of stress, which you mentioned you had. If you treat your fish, I'd leave them in QT for 6-8 weeks and let your display run fallow. That will allow your main tank time to recover (keep feeding the empty tank the same amount to maintain your biological system.) It'll also kill off any ich, velvet, and other nasties. Then just reintroduce your fish one at a time.

Sorry I haven't been more help today. I've been crazy busy.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 9:35pm
You have been great help. 

What is your thoughts on freshwater dips?  How long?

I called a few LFS today and the fact the person answer phone had to ask me what it was not sure my luck in finding it.  I may try online if I can't find local. 

Thanks again!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 9:40pm
I forget how long to dip for uronema, but I'd go 15 minutes then get them into a bath with Furan2 and Kanaplex if you can find it )which I'm betting I'm probably the only one who has it...although try Fish4U.) Then go into hyposalinity with the antibiotics. If I remember correctly, dip every 3 days 4 times.

What were you trying to find that no one knew what it was?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 9:57pm
Formulin. Forgot to type it.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 11:54pm
Formalin works, but you stand to kill your fish with it instead of curing them. I rarely use it due to the risks.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 12:51am
5 hours later we got half the fish out. Pretty much destroyed any aquascaping. We left in the fish that looked the best. Sure we stressed everyone out.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 1:00am
Ugh, sorry to hear that. That's no way to spend a Saturday night.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 10:46am
Fish4U doesn't carry formalin. The only thing they had was rid ich plus
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 11:50am
Been there done that. Sucks bad. Sorry you have to go through this.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic