Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identifying something please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
akv123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akv123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identifying something please
    Posted: July 21 2014 at 7:51pm
Its a round blue and green ball. thought it was a bubble at first. Just noticed it floating in the tank. I don't know what it is but It does look a lot like a tip of my hammer coral. I also just bought a clam from the same place I bought the hammer and it was in a tank with a few other hammer corals. I took a picture but it aint all that great. Its dead center in the picture being sucked up by the filter.

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 12:12am
It's hard to see from the pic, but I know when I mess around with my hands in my tank, I'll occasionally knock off a tip of one of the tentacles on my hammer, so it sounds logical for it to be that. I'd just take it out and not worry about it unless you see more pop up.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 5:15am
Maybe a majano?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 7:13am
It's an algae, Valonia, commonly called bubble algae. It's not harmful and looks kinda cool because of the sapphire crystal reflection in strong light.
To keep Valonia under control, I pluck it out when I can, pop the bubbles whenever possible and use herbivores like Snails and Hermits, including Emerald Crabs to eat it.

Aloha,
MarksReef Coral Farm  Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
millsu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 9:36am
Doesn't popping the bubbles release spores and make the problem worse? That's what I've always heard, and it seems that if I accidentally pop them when trying to remove them then I end up with more.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 10:42am
The only way to keep the spores completely out is to quarantine and treat everything. For me that's just not practical.

Here's how I and many other very experienced hobbyists view this situation. Because the Valonia is already in the tank, and even if there are no visible bubbles, chances are the spores are already there.  The inside of the bubble may or may not contain more spores, so popping is probably not going to make much difference, especially if popping occurs before the bubble matures and pops on it's own. As in all nuisance algae, the key to control is the efficient processing of pollution/nutrients and stocking plenty of herbivores to eat the algae when it's just a tiny sweet sprout.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic