Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

losing color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: losing color
    Posted: July 31 2016 at 1:20am
check this out for the cobos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSS_PoUX6o

LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 5:56pm
Any recommendations on T5 bulb combinations? I'm thinking about a 6 bulb ATI fixture
Here we go again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

It's great to hear that the tank is maturing.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

I attribute the positive to dosing potassium nitrate and better test kits. I'm still hoping for better results due to maturity in another 3-6 months.
Here we go again
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 4:49pm
It's great to hear that the tank is maturing.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 11:57am
I'm sold on T5s as well. I have one tank with T5s and another with Kessil and I prefer the vividness of the corals on the T5 tank. I'm sure the T5 gets better growth but I cannot prove it because of so many variables.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 10:17am

I would be interested to see how switching to t5's would impact established tank.  I recently switched to an 8 bulb t5 and after 2 months, I am sold.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 9:18am
I thought I would come back to share what I found out and how I have started to get my SPS colors to improve. As it turns out my old philosophy of keeping N03 and P04 as low as possible really doesn't give corals what they need. I was so worried about stripping my water clean that I was actually taking away what my corals needed to feed on. I am trying to keep N03 at 5-10 ppm and P04 at .05-.1 and SPS and colors are improving. 

I am still running carbon and refreshing monthly. I dose potassium nitrate as needed for N03. I have reduced Phosguard to minimal amounts for P04 as needed depending on test results. I am still skimming and running Calurpa in my sump. A big factor to these changes is that I have switched from API to Salifert test kits.

Since this is a change to my normal routine I am going to give it some time to settle in before I make any other changes. If I'm still not seeing the complete results I'm hoping for I am kicking around the idea of switching from LED to T5 in a few months.

All in all I am happy with the changes I have made thus far. I hope that this might also help others that are struggling with SPS colors and growth. 
Here we go again
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 5:35pm

It's really hard for any of us to be patient while the biology grows and stabilizes, enabling us to continue adding more delicate animals. Ying Yang

I would need to check her build thread but I assume that Jackie used a lot of live organisms from the start, maybe LS, LR, LW and Macroalgae from her previous tank or others nearby.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 9:07am
Last year, I moved to Utah from southern CA.  I was also a member of the local reef club there.  Within that club, there were quite a few insane reef tanks.  Everyone in that club used the cheap IO mix.  The club bought the stuff by the pallet(s) and we got a killer price.

Once I saw how everyone in the club was using it, never had issues and the success that can be had, I was sold forever.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 7:21am
But Mark I'm ready to add some more SPS sticks to my tank now HAHA!
BSTUVER's tank is only 6 months old and looks fantastic, I wanna be like her.

Seriously though, I've been reading a lot about maintaining coral growth & colors. I just want to do what is best and economical. Thanks for the advice on the kent products, I'll check them out. 
Here we go again
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 4:46pm

I don't know if Fuel has been reformulated in the last couple years, but it used to cause problems for some hobbyist tanks. 

Kent is one of the original reef aquarium product companies. They have always had a very good handle on the reefkeeping industry. Their Coral-Vite and Essential Elements are products that many other companies have tried to duplicate. I always use these two in alternating doses to keep things doing well in my coral farming operations. I also use Kent Iodine for Xenia and coral in general and Kent Iron-Manganese for both families of algae, the Macro and the Zooxanthellae. 

I believe you are on the right track. Two months is too early to be worried about dosing anything other than Alk, Ca and Mg if needed. There are quite a lot of other processes trying to find a balance in your tank. These processes are unknown in their purpose and effect. There has been very little written about them. Just to mention one, the Sulfur Cycle, is very important yet only just touched on in our hobby. This may be hard to hear, but the more the tank is messed with at this young age, the more it's being put at risk for an unknown problem to arise. In my experience, Coral don't do their best until the tank has aged about 6 months. After that, general improvements and growth can come swiftly.

For what it's worth, that my 2 cents.    Oh, I believe in using the economical, standard (purple) IO salt, too. Smile

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 3:49pm
Im using the purple. Colors aren't terrible but they're not the best either nor is the growth. But hey its still a young tank (~2 months).
Maybe someone else will chime in with different products that may contain the potassium etc.
Here we go again
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 1:42pm
Are you using IO purple bucket or orange. I used to use the purple until I was taught that it had very little to any trace elements that corals need to thrive. Purple is fantastic for fish only heck look at what these huge aquariums use. Case in point The Aquarium use IO purple for their fish only systems and reef crystals for their coral / reef systems. Just my .02 and I'm sure somebody will pipe in that disagrees with me. As such is life.

Edited by Reefer4Ever - April 23 2016 at 1:43pm
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 1:32pm
Old thread but I am also trying to maintain the best colors possible in my SPS.
I have a 55-60 gallon total system. I do 20% water changes monthly with regular IO. I dose alkalinity in my ATO along with a pinch of Mag. I hand dose calcium every 3-4 days. I use a half dose of Fuel every 3-4 days.

I notice that the Fuel doesn't have all of the elements previously mentioned in this thread.

Any suggestions?

Edited by LakeCityReefs - April 23 2016 at 2:04pm
Here we go again
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 9:34am
I just read through this post. Funny thing is I have had a feeling I needed to add Iron to my tank since the Macro algae isn't as dark green as it usually is and I feel that some of my acro greens are fading slightly.

I added Iron last night and am hoping that helps.

My question to all of you is do you regularly dose iron or just watch for the signs and dose as needed? I use to done Aquavitro's Fuel regularly but got tired of buying it all the time. Now I have a Kent Marine Iron Supplement.

Edited by Trevor40 - December 09 2015 at 9:37am
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 8:13am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I expected to hear that he just leaves a nail in the tank to rust! ;)

*slow clap*
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 9:08am
Yay!!! Glad I could help! Glad it was an easy fix too!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 8:24am
Just wanted to post a picture as it's fully recovered and growing very quickly. [IMG]http:// [/IMG]

Thank you Nikki :)
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 8:29am
LOL 
Why not? 
Of course, I considered those DIY methods, but nothing seemed to answer the need like the Kent product. Even considered inexpensive Iron supplements for plants, but they all contained other mineral substances which wouldn't be so good for the reef. I figured a nail will rust (GFO is pretty much just rust) but rust won't dissolve Iron into the water, at least not in the quantities needed, right?

Aloha  Hug

P.S.
I use AA rather than GFO because it seems to work faster and does not require slow tumbling in a chamber(one less piece of equipment to mess with Smile). I just place a loose media bag of AA near the skimmer intake, watch it turn color from bright white to dark tan over 2-4 months then replace it.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 8:39pm
I figured he just ground up GFO soaked it in RO water and then would let it settle out and use that in his glug jug top off.  :)
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic