Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

losing color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: losing color
    Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:02pm
I have had this piece for about 4 months now and it has added about an inch of growth. In the past 3 weeks it has been losing its color going towards gray. I run a pretty low nutrient system and have always done well until now. I did add a RBTA just after seeing it start to gray on the very top edge. The nem has never bothered it and the nem eats well with no problems. Other corals in the tank are doing fine will nothing changing. Calc 500 alk 9.5 nitrates 0 phos 0 mag 1400 sal 26. I have never done any spot feeding before with this coral but I do spot feed others and have always just let the coral pull from the AI's for light and whatever is in tge water. I do 10% weekly WC oh temp high of 79.8 avg is around 77. I will add a pic shortly.
[IMG]http:// [/IMG]       [IMG]http:// [/IMG] don't know what this is.   [IMG]http:// [/IMG]   there is also birds nest purple I hope that helps

Edited by Reefer4Ever - July 23 2014 at 8:30pm
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:07pm
What color is the coral supposed to be? How are you measuring phosphate? Is your salinity 26ppt or specific gravity 1.026? Big difference... Do you have similar color/type corals to the one that is losing color? What type of coral is it?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:12pm
Its a Leng Si cap green. I have uploaded pics before but now it wants a web address do you know how I can change that to upload from my phone. SG 1.026 sorry made an assumption.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:19pm
I use the Red Sea to check my phosphates and its about 2 months old.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 7:47pm
How's your algae growing? I ask for two reasons...one is that I bet your phosphates aren't actually 0. The Red Sea test isn't great. Two...you could be low on a trace element (need more info to determine which one). Please post a picture ASAP along with a full tank picture (I use Photobucket...don't know beyond that.)

Do you have any other SPS? If so, what type and color?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:23pm
I really struggle with getting algae to grow in my tank. My overflow is the only place some grows and my yellow tang keeps that clean. Thank you for the photo bucket idea. I am posting other pics now.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:35pm
See if you can find someone with an iron test kit...or dose very small amounts to see if the situation improves. I'd offer up my test kit, but work/school/baby are killing me right now.

The reason I'm going with lack of a trace element rather than low nutrient is the "gray" coloration you mentioned. When people describe their corals as "gray", it's usually a trace element issue (in fact, I've never seen it be a food issue.) Low iron, potassium, and iodine/iodide are quite common.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:37pm
Ok, just saw the pictures.

Try moving the coral lower, try feeding a bit more, AND try dosing a teeeeny bit of iron (test if you can). It may be a combination of all those issues.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:40pm
You're awesome, thank as I wouldn't have ever thought iron. Glad I got the pics up and it seemed to help.
Thank you again I will keep you posted.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 10:06pm
What salt are you using? It's unusual to see a case of low iron in a tank like yours, but that's what it looks like. I'm betting the coral is in a "perfect storm"-low nutrients and high light-and the zooxanthallae stressed.

Next time you're at the LFS, I'd have them check your alk to know that your test is still good too.

One last thing to check... Get a close eye on the coral and look for teeeeeeny black dots. Montiporas can get 'black bugs'.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:03pm
Just Curious is this recovering ?
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 6:46am
Yes within just a few hours of dosing iron it colored back up a bit, but mostly ove the past few weeks it has almost completely come back to full color with seemingly no ill affects. I am one very happy man to have Nikki around with her background and knowledge. Thank you for asking. I will post some current pics later today just in case anyone wants to see.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 11:50am
[IMG][/IMG]

A ton of blues sorry as I did ask my wife to send me a picture and I didnt even think about if the whites were on yet. At any rate its flouresing wonderfully as you can see.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 6:02pm
Awesome thanks for the update
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 11:24am
Update: dealing with some phosphates

[IMG]http:// [/IMG]

Edited by Reefer4Ever - October 26 2014 at 11:32am
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 6:57pm
Much better!!!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 6:59pm
Agreed, also growing like crazy. Thank you again Nikki.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 8:34pm
Wow!  My advice would have been... huge water change.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 9:34pm
Not tring to steal this thread but have recently(withn the 2 months) been testing trace elements and i always have to dose Iron, its always at 0. Tested my other system just to make sure the test was good and it was at 20, if i remember correctly. Anyway im glad you were able to fix your problem but  dosing iron for me  has had no effect on my sps or anything noticable for that matter. Of course my corals were not discolored either. Just seems Odd how my tank could flourish without it.
 Welcome to Salt i guess.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 12:24am
Iron is quickly depleted; I'm usually at 0 as well. Iron is not the only factor of green. If you have algae, it's probably using the iron up before you test, similar to phosphates.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic