Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

losing color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 5:35pm

It's really hard for any of us to be patient while the biology grows and stabilizes, enabling us to continue adding more delicate animals. Ying Yang

I would need to check her build thread but I assume that Jackie used a lot of live organisms from the start, maybe LS, LR, LW and Macroalgae from her previous tank or others nearby.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 9:18am
I thought I would come back to share what I found out and how I have started to get my SPS colors to improve. As it turns out my old philosophy of keeping N03 and P04 as low as possible really doesn't give corals what they need. I was so worried about stripping my water clean that I was actually taking away what my corals needed to feed on. I am trying to keep N03 at 5-10 ppm and P04 at .05-.1 and SPS and colors are improving. 

I am still running carbon and refreshing monthly. I dose potassium nitrate as needed for N03. I have reduced Phosguard to minimal amounts for P04 as needed depending on test results. I am still skimming and running Calurpa in my sump. A big factor to these changes is that I have switched from API to Salifert test kits.

Since this is a change to my normal routine I am going to give it some time to settle in before I make any other changes. If I'm still not seeing the complete results I'm hoping for I am kicking around the idea of switching from LED to T5 in a few months.

All in all I am happy with the changes I have made thus far. I hope that this might also help others that are struggling with SPS colors and growth. 
Here we go again
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 10:17am

I would be interested to see how switching to t5's would impact established tank.  I recently switched to an 8 bulb t5 and after 2 months, I am sold.

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 11:57am
I'm sold on T5s as well. I have one tank with T5s and another with Kessil and I prefer the vividness of the corals on the T5 tank. I'm sure the T5 gets better growth but I cannot prove it because of so many variables.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 4:49pm
It's great to hear that the tank is maturing.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

It's great to hear that the tank is maturing.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

I attribute the positive to dosing potassium nitrate and better test kits. I'm still hoping for better results due to maturity in another 3-6 months.
Here we go again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 5:56pm
Any recommendations on T5 bulb combinations? I'm thinking about a 6 bulb ATI fixture
Here we go again
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2016 at 1:20am
check this out for the cobos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSS_PoUX6o

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic