Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crab ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fish Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crab ID
    Posted: July 27 2014 at 10:30am
What type of crab is this? Would it have been responsible for eating my zoanthids? Thanks.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 12:58pm
It looks like a Left-handed Hermit Crab to me.

Fish Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 3:03pm
Something has eaten my zoas. I thought it might have been this crab, but I took a rock out last night that has a crab in it with brown and white striped legs. Any ideas?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 8:17pm
Aloha Barbara,

The crab you found in a rock was not in a snail shell, right? It lives in a hole in the rock and comes in to our tanks as a hitchhiker in Live Rock. That's why we call it a Rock Crab. I'll bet your Zoanthids will be just fine now.

Hermit Crabs in shells, in fact all crabs in general typically don't start eating coral unless they are really hungry. In a new tank like yours they can get hungry enough to start eating coral, so it's a good idea to keep only a few hermits.

It's fortunate you got that Rock Crab out. In existing large displays, where the rock is not easily removed, there are two ways to handle it; 1) jab into the hole with a thin stick to kill the Rock Crab or 2) place a baited glass jar next to the rock on a 60 degree angle. When the crab goes after the bait that night, it can't climb back out of the jar.

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic