Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron remover, bleached coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron remover, bleached coral
    Posted: July 27 2014 at 8:18pm
i need to know the best product that will quickly remove iron oxide ie. gfo dust. Poly filter work? my gfo bag leaked in my filter sock and churned dust up and it bleached my biggest acro coral and has started to discolor another acro and killed my peppermint shrimp. this seems to be the only culprit possible and the most likely so tomorrow morning i will be racing to the store to grab something.
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 8:28pm
This is the first I have heard of something like this.
How long had the GFO been in the system?
Are you saying that you can see the GFO particles actually landing on the coral?
Are you keeping media bags in the filter sock? (Is there a bag of AC in there too?)
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 8:46pm
I see that you are still online here. While waiting for your response, I'll add some thoughts.

The filter sock is a not a good place to keep any kind of media because the draining water tumbles the bag and/or media inside the bag, churning it up, making dust that spreads throughout the system. When AC gets ground into powder it can cause problems in the tank. A better alternative is to ensure the bags are securely closed and placed near the return pump strainer.

Coral produces slime and sloughs it off to remove any irritating particles and to expel waste.

If anything, newly added GFO (rusted iron) disbursing throughout the tank might cause problems by removing too much PO4 from the water too fast. The coral's symbiotic Zooxanthellae algae(which gives coral its color) need PO4 to survive.

Let's also look at other possible causes for this problem.

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 27 2014 at 8:53pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 9:02pm
Whoops, offline before responding to my questions. Unhappy

I'm wondering if the GFO was just recently added because PO4 was tested and found to be elevated? PO4 builds up slowly in the water. The effect of elevated PO4 on SPS is a delayed response. The coral hangs on until it cannot hang on any longer and then it bleaches and/or dies in less than 24 hours.

In case I'm offline when you see this, please feel free to call or text me at 808-345-1049.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 12:37am
whoops, sorry got busy, well the gfo was in the tank for about 3 weeks. i was using it to combat the usual cyano/algae outbreak with newer tanks. so i decided to rig up a cheap diy inline reactor that worked quite well except i couldnt see into the media. i added pads inside the reactor to keep the media from moving and churning but it still did a little.. eventually the pads ended up with a layer of dust on them and i only realized this when a cloud of gfo dust expelled out my return. i immediately turned it off and decided to re engineer it a bit once i find some clear tubing.. but there was still a cloud of gfo dust in the tank. i figured i would monitor it and hopefully it would be filtered out. by removing the inline filter, i increased the flow to my tank thus increasing the flow into the filter sock which i placed extra gfo media that didnt fit into the reactor. i didnt realize until tonight that the media had gotten loose and had wrecked havoc inside the filter sock and im sure was tumbling about at high speed all day. i had a small bag of AC downstream under more calm flow, no churning so my guess is this coral was sensitive to the amount of iron along with another acro and the shrimp.
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 1:28am
First off, GFO is supposed to tumble. Not hard, but it needs to move. Second, ferric oxide does,not provide usable iron to the tank, so you didn't overdose on iron.

The only real concern is that your fish shouldn't breathe the particulates. I wouldn't worry.

What are the rest of your parameters?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 8:18am
I'm disappointed I didn't get a call at 12:37 am  Wink

Originally posted by pilotx44 pilotx44 wrote:

...the gfo was in the tank for about 3 weeks. i was using it to combat the usual cyano/algae outbreak with newer tanks
....Interesting. Stern Smile Not saying it shouldn't be done but I would not do that. The usual algae outbreak in a new tank is actually a good thing. Algae eats a variety of polluting compounds in a natural way, which helps balance the environment and the tank chemistry. That's why you will always see me recommending the use of lots of Macroalgae for the first 3 months of a tanks life.

I'm not so sure that stripping PO4 from a tank that may not have any extra PO4 is good for the tank - and definitely not good for the coral. As I mentioned above, coral need a low level of PO4 for their symbiotic Zooxanthellae algae.

SPS in a new tank is risky anyway. It's this 90, right? http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71745 (sorry I never got back about my suggestions regarding the stand. they were very minor modifications anyway). The Alk and Ca levels may be just fine but I'm with Nikki, we need to know those numbers along with the N compound levels. Now that PO4 has been essentially stripped from this system, knowing the current parameters is very important to figuring out what to do next.

Speaking of what to do next, I would remove all GFO media and replace the AC with new AC as soon as possible. The recent SPS deaths require some water polishing.

Aloha Hug

P.S. Like Nikki said, the media works best when it softly tumbles. The inline media device is an admirable substitute Star for a media reactor but IMO is unnecessary. A media bag filled loosely with 1 cup of AC placed near the return pump intake, flipped over from time to time to redistribute the granules/pellets will do a fairly good job. This is how I get the job done and at the same time keep expenses low for my coral farm, but I guess you saw that when you were here. Embarrassed

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 28 2014 at 9:13am
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 11:13am
good ideas, i have tons of macro algae that ive been running since day 1. my nitrate and nitrite levels were 0 yesterday. my phosphate checker isnt sensitive , only .25 res. not the .03 or such res. i removed all gfo and will be replacing the activated carbon today. i will also be getting a polyfilter as a precaution along with some test kits hopefully.
ca is 440 and alk stays round 7-8. im dosing more alk now to raise it to 8-9
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 8:15pm
Alk below 8 dKH in that new tank - a definite cause for concern and easily the reason for SPS issues. Sorry for your loss.

Aloha Hug
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 10:23pm
good to know, tryin to keep alk up now
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 7:31am
If you're having trouble getting your alk up, check your magnesium level. 
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 4:09pm
good to know, just grabbed some magnesium so i think that will help
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic