Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catching fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catching fish
    Posted: July 28 2014 at 10:52am
So i have to break my tank down and figure i'll start in about a month or two.  The biggest undertaking is going to be catching all the fish.  I know catching fish and moving them can be stressful, so is there an easier way/less stressful besides using a net to catch the fish?
Tim
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 11:29am
Depending on the size of the tank, I like to pump out the water into a clean container, grab the fish, and pump the water back into the tank.

timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 12:04pm
Its a 120 gal tank so fairly big.  Once i get them out i'll be selling them.
Tim
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 12:07pm
If you got a large fish trap you could train your fish to eat out of it by placing food in it every day without trapping them. Then when the time comes to catch them you would just put food in the trap and they would already be accustomed to going into it and you could pull them out.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 7:58pm
Fish are the last animals to go. Wait until coral and most rock are gone, then drain the water down where it's easy to catch them with a net or by corralling them into a small bucket.

If dismantling the reef is not desired, there are several good fishing methods. I have even caught fish with a tiny fish hook (#22) on 2 lb test line, but the way I like best is done at night. Works very slick and very fast. Otherwise there is the easy pop bottle trap or the club loaner fish trap. Look here: "Catching fish the easy way" http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29554

The club fish trap is loaned out right now, but it should be returning any day now. When might you need it? I will be coming your way twice this Wednesday and again on Saturday evening to deliver and retrieve some things at the Riverdale Sams Club. We could meet up if that works for you.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 28 2014 at 8:01pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 6:03pm
If your just breaking it down, drain the water down real low, and catch them in a plastic bowl.....if you just need certain fish out, I used a teenie tiny hook with the barbs smashed down and some mysis shrimp, took just a few minutes and other than a poke the fish were fine, not the most humane way some may say, and if I fish gets that hook too deep your gonna have problems but the hook I used could not be completely swallowed by the fish. I have killed fish chasing them with nets. I only used this method as I was not tearing down the tank, had too many acros to use a net anyway, and draining tank would not work and i only needed two fish out, it was honesty so fast and the fish slide right off hook as it had no barbs and no net, or net chasing or traps were needed. Use that method at your own risk though, could be traumatic for the fish and if any of your fish are ill that could lead to problems.
65g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic