Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quarantine tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
crcleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crcleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quarantine tank
    Posted: July 29 2014 at 7:13pm
What is a good size for a quarantine tank for fish?
MattinIdaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattinIdaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 8:03pm
In fact how about some pics of your setups and what you have in them. Likes and dislikes. I've never ran a qt tank but I'd like to set one up.
Matt Hansen 208 709-6559

180 Mixed Reef

40 Breeder Frag Tank

75 Gallon Sump

SRO XP3000

Reef Keeper Lite

Eheim Jagger 200 Watt x 2

T5 x 8 Lighting

2 Koralia 6, 1 Korali
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 10:17pm
Depends what size and how many fish you want to put in one. I can post up pics of mine later.

I just have 3 x 10g fish QT tanks, but I don't get big fish.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
crcleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crcleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 6:22am
It would be great if you could post a pic of your tanks - Reefdup
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 7:14pm
Ok, these pics are a bit old, but I haven't had time to grab new ones.

This is my QT area. On the left is a coral QT setup (20g display w/ 10g sump), and on the right is now 3 x 10g systems. I used to run a 20g and a 10g, but I decided to run the tank transfer method on most fish.

I just use the cheapo 10g tanks from the big box stores that come with a HOB filter, light, and heater. Since the TTM only has a treatment time of 12 days, a 10g tank is ok for medium-sized fish IMO. The photo below has sand in it b/c I was treating some leopard wrasses.

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 9:26pm
I have about ten 10 gal tanks for $5 each if anyone is interested. Selling them for a friend, converting his old fish room into a storage room.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 10:31pm
I also use 10 gal tanks, with a air driven sponge, heater, and a piece or two of PVC pipe to hide in/behind.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 4:31am
Oh, yeah, I use a piece of PVC as well. I used to use sponge filters, but I thought they were too hard to sanitize.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattinIdaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:40am
Do you just set it up, let it cycle and then keep it up or do you tear them down in between fish?
Matt Hansen 208 709-6559

180 Mixed Reef

40 Breeder Frag Tank

75 Gallon Sump

SRO XP3000

Reef Keeper Lite

T5 x 8 Lighting

2 Koralia 6, 1 Korali
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:12pm
I've spent nearly 8 years trying to perfect my procedures. They're not perfect, but they work rather well. I'm sure this will raise some eyebrows, but there's logic behind the madness.

I don't cycle my fish QT tanks. That's where problems arise. A cycled QT tank allows various bacteria to take over - there's no sanitation. A cycled QT will allow vibrio, uronema, cryptocaryon, etc. to survive (and even thrive).

Each tank goes up with new saltwater (after aerating for at least 24 hours). I use water conditioner to help the fish adjust. The salinity, pH, and temp are all kept at normal reef parameters. Before the fish is introduced to the QT, I perform a freshwater dip with methylene blue on it. Every day I dose Amquel to eliminate the ammonia, nitrite, etc. Every three days, the fish is moved to a newly setup QT, and the previous one is bleached. After 12 days (4 moves), the fish is healthy and ready to go into my main display. In addition to the TTM and freshwater dip(s), I treat with Furan2 and PraziPro. These procedures treat all the common nasties.

I've only lost ONE fish in my main display since I started this routine (3 years), and that was b/c the fish (a wrasse) decided to sleep next to a large Trachy. When it woke up in the morning, it came out of the sand, and the Trachy grabbed it before it even knew what was going on.    
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattinIdaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 9:28am
That's a great write up. I've never quarantined before meaning I've been really lucky. I dip all corals but never had the setup for fish. Would just take one bad experience to ruin a lot of years of hard work though so I will be looking for a couple of small tanks that I can have on hand to use.
Matt Hansen 208 709-6559

180 Mixed Reef

40 Breeder Frag Tank

75 Gallon Sump

SRO XP3000

Reef Keeper Lite

T5 x 8 Lighting

2 Koralia 6, 1 Korali
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:15am
I applaud Nikki for what she does. I have nothing bad to say about QT, but it does remind me of this:

Finding Nemo
Marlin: I promised I'd never let anything happen to him.
Dory: Hmm. That's a funny thing to promise.
Marlin: What?
Dory: Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:23am
Mark, I'm guessing you haven't had any vaccines?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:02pm
Comparing quarantine to vaccination. Shocked Confused
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:18pm
Isolating Typhoid Mary was a good way to prevent illness. If only she had been more compliant with the quarantine she was supposed to have observed, many people would not have suffered. When vaccine is not available, quarantine is the next best thing.

Back on topic, after running into marine velvet and losing most of my fish I will never add another fish without properly quarantining it first. I have a 45 that has two power filters hanging on the back as a quarantine. There are large PVC fittings for the fish to hide in. I'll post a picture later today.

Edited by Ann_A - August 01 2014 at 12:29pm
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 10:00am
I apologize for not posting this sooner but here is a pic of my quarantine tank.

I don't run any chemical media in the filters but I do use a sponge and some biological media both of which are always bleached, dried, and cleaned thoroughly between uses. I've run copper and hyposalinity in this tank (not at the same time) and use an ATO when it is running.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattinIdaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 12:41pm
So you don't move your fish. Just keep them in one tank for observation and a treatment if needed?
Matt Hansen 208 709-6559

180 Mixed Reef

40 Breeder Frag Tank

75 Gallon Sump

SRO XP3000

Reef Keeper Lite

T5 x 8 Lighting

2 Koralia 6, 1 Korali
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 2:06pm
I would like to do the tank transfer method but unfortunately I don't have the resources to do it right now. So for now if I need to I just run copper for 8 weeks or hyposalinity depending on what I need to do. I also will run antibiotics if necessary.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Comparing quarantine to vaccination. Shocked Confused

No, I'm comparing prophylactic treatment (for velvet, ich, flukes, etc.) to vacccination...which is also prophylactic.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I've spent nearly 8 years trying to perfect my procedures. They're not perfect, but they work rather well. I'm sure this will raise some eyebrows, but there's logic behind the madness.

I don't cycle my fish QT tanks. That's where problems arise. A cycled QT tank allows various bacteria to take over - there's no sanitation. A cycled QT will allow vibrio, uronema, cryptocaryon, etc. to survive (and even thrive).

Each tank goes up with new saltwater (after aerating for at least 24 hours). I use water conditioner to help the fish adjust. The salinity, pH, and temp are all kept at normal reef parameters. Before the fish is introduced to the QT, I perform a freshwater dip with methylene blue on it. Every day I dose Amquel to eliminate the ammonia, nitrite, etc. Every three days, the fish is moved to a newly setup QT, and the previous one is bleached. After 12 days (4 moves), the fish is healthy and ready to go into my main display. In addition to the TTM and freshwater dip(s), I treat with Furan2 and PraziPro. These procedures treat all the common nasties.

I've only lost ONE fish in my main display since I started this routine (3 years), and that was b/c the fish (a wrasse) decided to sleep next to a large Trachy. When it woke up in the morning, it came out of the sand, and the Trachy grabbed it before it even knew what was going on.    

Good to know it's only 12 days.  At times the 30 days of keeping something setup was more of an issue for me.  Do you ever QT multiple fish?  I do find I buy more then one or if it's from LiveAquaria I have a few (to maximize the shipping). 

Thanks
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic