Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

300 gallon build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 gallon build
    Posted: August 01 2014 at 7:41pm
Here is the start of my build:

Lemar 300 gallon tank- 96x24x30 twin rear overflows.
Steel stand by me, 6 leveling feet
Elite Aquatics sump

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 7:45pm
Very nice!

LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 8:16pm
Looks nice.
mikebrennan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:57pm
sweet
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 3:11am
Those Leemars are so beautiful, even when they are empty. Following....
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 9:31am
That is going to be a beautiful reef. Come on over and get your stuff to start it up and to fill it up. I'll give you awesome deals from MarksReef Coral Farm

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 9:34am
Following excited to see it come together.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 9:34am
I'm working on my plumbing plan and would like to run an idea past everyone for feedback as I'm fairly new when it comes to this.  I was considering doing a closed loop system of sorts using the overflow boxes.  Picture 2 or 3 ports on each inside edge of the overflow running down to a DC pump in the sump (only to keep it cool) returning to the other overflow and out some line loc (for adjustability).  I would put a diverter in the return line for doing water changes.  The line would run through the wall and into my utility room where I have a floor drain.  Directly behind the tank is my utility room which I will be using as a "support room".  My current plan is also to run an external skimmer in the support room.

I would use my third drilled hole in the overflow box to accomplish this.  The original intent was to use these as emergency drains, but with the advent of Apex, I figure I can place a water sensor up high enough in the overflow box to shut down the return pumps if the water levels get too high in the case of the overflow drains being blocked.
the tank as it is fairly long.

keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:00am
It also occurs to me that I can run a second diverter valve on the intake side and run it into my 30 gallon water change tank to pump new water back into the system.

keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:09am
For the auto top off (yellow) I plan on having a 250 gallon water tank in the support room.  It doubles as our emergency water storage.  I plan on feeding in a 5 stage RO/DI system into the 250 gallon tank.  From there, I am planning on a gravity fed system down into the sump on a float valve.  The plan is to tap the gravity feed line into the 250 gallon water high up on the water level so if the float valve were to become stuck open it would only drain a small amount into the system. 
The beauty of this system is that it will rotate my emergency water system for me.

keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:11am
I'm planning on running twin Jebao DC-12000 return pumps up to single line locks outputs, one out of each overflow box on the outer edges.
keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:13am

Give me your thoughts on the best kind of drain system to run in the overflow boxes...they will run down into the far side of the sump through bulkheads.  The tank is drilled with 1.75" holes so the returns and drains will be 1" pipe.

Edited by keithro - August 05 2014 at 10:15am
keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 1:14pm
It's been a while since an update.  I'll be running two Jebao DC12000's as return pumps.  Here you can see the first one in.
I was originally going to do a durso and an emergency drain in each overflow box, but I ended up putting dual durso pipes in each overflow box so I can push more water.  It still gives me the redundancy in case one drain gets clogged, but let's me flow more water.  Here are two of the four ready to go.
Here is one of the durso pipes in the overflow box with the start of my return plumbing.
Started unboxing the apex-

keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 1:19pm
Received my rock in from BRS.  Here is a shot of some of it. 

I also ordered a couple pieces of tonga shelf, one of them didn't come through so well which is fine, because I don't think it will fit in the tank very well with all of the other rock.  One shelf piece should be fine. 
I started aquascaping and came up with this for my left side structure.  Now, if I can only get it from the driveway into the tank...

I think we got the puzzle pieced together for the most part after moving it:
I mixed together three different sizes of sand to get a variety and try for a more natural look.

Edited by keithro - September 05 2014 at 1:26pm
keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 1:24pm
Here is how the tank stands now.  I'm still working on cleaning up some of the plumbing and electrical lines.  The rock on the right hand of the tank is live rock I picked up locally (yet to be aquascaped).  I still have to finish with the rest of the aquascaping.  The live rock will be integrated in with the rest of the rock I purchased.  I'm planning on building a tower structure and a cove structure.  Maybe I will get to them this weekend.  Kids play rugs are great for protecting the carpet while I'm dunking and arranging rock!
I'm placing most of my equipment in the utility room behind the tank.  It has a floor drain and a sloped concrete floor.  The black line on the lower left of the sump is an emergency overflow drain for the sump.  If for any reason the sump water gets too high, the water will go down a standpipe and over to a floor drain in the utility room. 

Edited by keithro - September 05 2014 at 1:48pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 1:41pm
That is looking great and I really like that reef structure on the left side.

love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 1:47pm
Looking good Keith
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 1:52pm
Looking good
keithro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 1:52pm
I didn't notice this until I got the rock into the tank, but check out skull rock:
I can't wait to tell my kids that the tank is haunted....
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 1:55pm
Looking good what is the pipe you have running over the bubble trap by the pumps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic