Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

killing coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: killing coral
    Posted: August 05 2014 at 6:35pm
If you are insistent on not trading use a hammer a chisel and your porch... its how I got rid of the last of the aiptasia fear not the coraline catches up quick after the top layer holding the softies is chiseled. The copes and other guys don't even keel off. Hope that helps

Edited by PDoug - August 05 2014 at 6:37pm
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 3:05pm
Well.. I have scraped the Xenia off all the rock when resetting up tank. And I don't think I'm going to be able to make it Thursday. Now I took pictures of my smaller tank. But they are on my phone. Can I load them Here somehow? The main difficulty with it is how its grown. Its grown up into hard to get to and peel off areas.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 3:20pm
Agree with Mark :)
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 7:42am
The 120
I'm not so sure I would do that with the Xenia rock. Here is what I see might happen. The animals (xenia coral), depending on the quantity, could take a couple months to die, would be very stinky and the continual pollution could kill ALL the life on and in the LR.

What I would do instead is take each piece of LR to the sink, under the running faucet, brush off all the Xenia with a toothbrush or other stiff brush and place the LR back in the re-set up 120.

The 24 gal
With the small tank, here is how I see it. Briarium can only grow so fast (so how much can there be?) and it can sometimes be pulled off in sheets or pieces. The rest could be scraped off with a kitchen knife. Not knowing exactly how much we are talking about, would you like to share a pic?

Still, I believe that trading old LR for new is not a bad idea. Each new piece of LR placed in the hands of a hobbyist with continually improving aquascaping skills makes each new set up look cooler than the one before.

I believe Adam is serious about using LR encrusted with Xenia and Briarium. It probably fits the direction he is going with his recently revamped 300 gal display. I would at least visit him to see what rock he is wanting to trade.

Aloha  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 1:20am
well, my problem is in a 24 gallon and a 120 gallon. the 24 has gorgonia, the 120 has xenia.  both got out of control while I have been away for the last 2 months, with no maintenance occuring on my tanks..  I have had to move my 120, so the rock has all been pulled out and is in garbage cans now. I was noping there was some way to do it without changing much..  especially with my 24 as I really like my rock setup. 

the 120's rock a significant amount has the xenia on it, I was even thinking that maybe if I left it in buckets without light maybe they will die in a not to short time? 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 8:41pm
That's what I'm saying.  And I've got awesome dry rock.  

Be at the meeting Thursday?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 8:20pm
Trading clean LR for coral "infested" LR could be a good deal for both parties. Smile
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 7:17pm
Really?  I should just give you rock.

Adam

Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 3:03pm
Well.. I need the rock and its on a lot . what I've considered is pulling out rock for it to die..then putting rock back in. But I'd rather not do that either.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 3:01pm
Can you pull the rocks out and sell them to me?

Adam
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 8:01am
Dang pest coral. Wink

Seriously though, after too many of this same experience, I decided to keep those kind of coral on their own rock isolated on the sand or in a location where I can cut it back before it reaches plague proportions.

Aloha  Hug
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 7:43pm
I use kalkwasser paste, but you'll need to remove as much xenia manually as possible first so that you don't spike ammonia.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 7:08pm
Any good way a besides pulling rock out to kill Xenia and pink gorgonia?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic