Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Testing parameters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing parameters
    Posted: August 02 2014 at 7:54pm
What is the best kit for checking water parameters? Is it better to get individual kits? I have read Hanna checkers are good. What is your experience with what worked and what didn't?

Thank you ahead of time :)
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
willstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 8:54pm
Red sea pro are good. I only use the Hanna checker for phosphates
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 7:51am
I agree the Red Sea Pro gives the best bang for the buck. Alk and Ca are all I test for these days and Mg infrequently. Red Sea even has affordable refills so we can use the syringes and bottles from the original kit.

What about other tests?
If we are staying on top of our biological filtration, other tests are needed so infrequently that it's more economical to take our water to a fish nerd friend Geek in the WMAS for a free test or to the LFS for a small fee. I haven't checked N pollution for ages, except a few months ago, just for kicks, I checked Nitrate. It was near zero.

Aloha 

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 03 2014 at 7:54am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 8:13am
I have two Hannah checkers, one for phosphates and one for alk. I like both, but for Alk I usually just use the Red Sea Foundation kit since I'm checking the Ca and Mag and the Alk test is in the kit too. Red Sea seems to have a good fast flash in color that I like, one drop and it all changes so I am pretty confident in my readings. Others I've used start to turn and require a few more drops to complete the change so I sometimes wonder where I was supposed to take the reading.

Gat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 9:03am
I like Red Sea for Calcium, Alk, Mag, and Nitrate. I use the Hanna Checker for Phosphate and a probe for ph. Very rarely do I check for anything else besides salinity which is measured with a refractometer.

Edited by Ann_A - August 03 2014 at 10:01am
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 9:59am
I use Red Sea for Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Iodine/Iodate, Potassium, and Iron. I use the Hanna Checker for Phosphate. I use a probe for pH and temp, and I use a refractometer for specific gravity/salinity.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic