Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red bubble algae!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red bubble algae!!
    Posted: August 04 2014 at 8:05pm
I have a lot of red bubble algae just start popping up, I know some of it is from the lack of flow in my tank, for now. I know there's some previous topics on this somewhere, I just don't have the time to go searching. lol But is there anything I can do to get rid of this so I can restart my tank?? I have one fish in there, a Niger Trigger. Any help will be appreciated! Also, what is a good sand sifter, but doesn't completely rearrange my sand bed?? lol

Thanks,
Jake
90 Gallon reef
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 8:42pm
nassarius snails are good to sift the sand
90 gallon mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 10:01pm
Agree with Eric.
IMO, sand sifting isn't necessarily a good thing, but Nassarius snails cause the least amount of damage to the bio-ecology of the sand bed. I like sand sifting Cucumbers/slugs because they ingest the top layer of sand and excrete it clean and white. The Tiger Tail Cuke is cool but when it gets large it's sifting rearranges the sand toward the back of the tank. Definitely easy to catch, remove and replace with a smaller one.
I like this pic of a Tiger Tail on LiveAquaria.com. (The white spikes are totally soft.)

Red algae is rare and very beautiful. It may often disappear just as easily as it appeared. I would simply enjoy it's beauty and benefits. An herbivorous fish or Emerald Crab could easily keep it in check or decimate it.
Red Grape Algae is also very striking for it's shape and color. Thanks to lareefs.com for this nice image.

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 10:34pm
Well, maybe it's not bubble algae, but that nuisance red **** that appears during the summer, all over the rocks and sand bed. It covers everything quick, and looks like a sheet of algae does.. 
90 Gallon reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 11:39pm
You can read about methods of Cyanobacteria eradication (fixing the root cause) in a discussion listed/linked in the Reefkeeping Tips.  http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. To out-compete Cyano, I give away good algae for free.

Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 12:18am
Sweet! Thanks for the info Mark!
90 Gallon reef
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 12:38am
Ok, I think I have it figured out. that was a great link. You're always on top of everything Mark! I need more turbulence in my tank, less time with the lights on, make my mom feed the ONE fish less than 4 times a day, haha and for sure get a clean up crew. there is only like 3 or 4 crabs and like 3 snails left from my tank crash. Oh, and blast and fish out the cyano. I'll let you know how it works out! Currently looking for a larger return pump, if you know anyone wanting to get rid of one :)  Now, I'd like to clarify, is the number of crabs, and snails supposed to equal the gallons, or do I need 90 crabs, and 90 snails??

Thanks,
Jake
90 Gallon reef
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 4:02am
Many people will recommend the one to one rule. However, I've never been a huge fan of all those snails and crabs but you may find them necessary until you reach an equilibrium in your system. We have about 10 snails and two hermits in our 265G.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 7:02am
Agree with David. A mature tank needs less of these. Add just enough Snails to keep it clean without overpopulating so they don't go hungry. Less Hermits, like one Hermit for every 2-4 Snails is a good rule of thumb.
Thanks for the compliment.
Overfeeding is a big reason for a Cyano bloom. I often suggest not feeding the tank anything for 3-5 days and then feed half as much from then on. Fish can usually handle it. They will pick at growth in the tank. This gives the bio-filtration the opportunity to catch up and process the abundance of nutrients, winning out over the Cyano.

Aloha  Hug
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 11:54am
Yeah, my mom loves to feed. I'll have to hide the food for a few days. lol I haven't really noticed my fish really feed on anything growing in the tank.. It's a niger trigger.
90 Gallon reef
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 1:39pm
A trigger might naturally drop the number of crabs and snails you have available to you.  They like crunchy things. . .
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 8:44am
Making it difficult to keep those amazing little herbivores, the clean up crew of Snails and Hermits. My tanks cannot do without those guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic