Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Names
    Posted: August 08 2014 at 9:16am
Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to cause feelings. Shane's idea sounds very useful for your purpose. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 8:58am

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Write the name on a small sticky note or piece of paper and stick/tape it on the glass in front of the coral. This will help you put it to memory.

Here is another thing. Where practical, before buying an animal, do a little research to find out what where it lives on the earth. Learn what life is like there, both in the water and above in the countries closest to that location.

Maybe I should have been more specific in my original post.  If course I read up about the specific coral group -- if nothing else I need to know about its lighting and flow requirements and whether it gets along with other corals, whether they like to be hand fed, etc.  But I was talking about corals like zoas, palys, etc, where it seems to be popular to identify them by a bunch of stupid names (in my opinion) in an attempt to make some of them more valuable!  I don't care about the monetary value of a coral -- I buy them if I like them and if there is a place in my tank for them.  But I also don't want to get screwed when I finally reach a point where I have to frag and end up selling them far below market value to someone who will readily take advantage of my lack of knowledge.  Thus, I need to find a good system to keep track of their specific names.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 7:39am
Write the name on a small sticky note or piece of paper and stick/tape it on the glass in front of the coral. This will help you put it to memory.

Here is another thing. Where practical, before buying an animal, do a little research to find out what where it lives on the earth. Learn what life is like there, both in the water and above in the countries closest to that location.

As an example, I had the blessing of being able to spend a couple years living in Hawaii. One day I was at the beach walking out a long rocky water breaker. I spied some green stuff in the shallow water. I wondered what algae it was? It was strange because every so often as the waves moved back and forth I could see a bit of purple color. As I stooped down to get a closer look, it hit me. This was no algae! This was Green Star Polyps. I took this pic.

GSP is a coral I had grown and sold for years but I had never seen it in the wild. How cool was that?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 4:35pm
I take a picture of it with the iPad and change the file name to the name of the coral and put it in a file just for all my corals

Edited by LaRue - August 07 2014 at 4:36pm
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 4:13pm

With my last tank I had no idea what most of my coral names were, which would have been a problem if I needed to start fragging due to growth and selling.

Do any of you have a decent system to keep track of all of your coral names in your tank?  I told myself THIS time I was going to keep track somehow.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic