Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Return pump help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return pump help
    Posted: August 10 2014 at 10:30pm
My return pump is dying after a year and a half. Angry  NEVER buy Danner pro Hy-drive for salt water aquariums they rust and die.

My sump is in the basement and display on my main level 12' of lift 90 gallon display.  Looking to get between 800 and 900 gallons per hour, unless proved otherwise.  I do have a pipe plumbed after the pump to divert water if the flow is too much.

Looking at a mag drive 24 or Sicce Syncra HF 10.  The mag drive has less flow and uses quite a bit more power.  Mag drive 265 watts, Syncra HF 10 145 watts.
http://www.sicce.com/prodottiDettaglio_eng.php/prodotto=syncra-highflow-10.0-12.0-16.0/idprodotto=78 

I know the Syncra HF 10 is way overkill, but I would rather have too much flow and divert than not enough.

Do any of you have a similar setup that could give me suggestions on pumps and what they're doing?

Any help is much appreciated.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 10:41pm
Isnt mag drive made by Danner also?... have you thought about the jebao1200? They have very low power and you can adjust the flow. Plus very very quite
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 10:56pm
Danner isn't the problem it's that specific Hy-drive pump.  Online saltwater aquarium suppliers sell the pump, but they do not last in saltwater.

I would love the Jebao1200, but it pumps less than 700 gallons at full speed at 12'.  Please tell me if I'm wanting too much to have around 900 gallons per hour circulating through my sump.
willstang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 3:17am
For 12' head pressure I would suggest a pan world pump.
like this one

Edited by willstang - August 11 2014 at 3:18am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 6:07am
Depending on the powerheads and flow characteristics within the display, ~500 gph return flow may be good. Aquascaping also plays a role in this. What size is the display and may we see a pic?

Aloha  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 7:05am
The Mag Drive pumps use stainless steel screws, relatively safe for saltwater. Smile

btw, all these pumps are made to handle a flow control valve on the output side. (Do not place the valve on the inlet side of the pump.) An output flow restricting valve is much easier to work with than "a pipe plumbed after the pump to divert water if the flow is too much."
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 4:13pm
Here's an older picture.  Rock work stayed the same, but most of the hard corals have been traded out for soft corals and zoas.  When I get home I'll post a current picture.  I have 2 jebao wp-25 power heads one on each side.  I only have them on at 33% with my apex.  

I want to make sure the sump gets good enough flow.  Right now not enough water is moving through it so there is a build up of protein on the surface and not good enough growth on the algae.  Also I'm starting to get a bit of algae growing on the rocks because of not enough flow to the sump. 

The pipe leaving the return pump to the display has a T in it with a ball valve to divert the water if it pumps too much.

Is anyone using a mag 18 or 24 for something similar to what I'm doing?

Thanks

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 9:18pm
We used to think that water flow had to be really fast through the Sump/Refugium. Then, with improvements in pump technology, we found that more flow in the display compensated for standard flow through the Sump/Refugium. If you think about it, 500 gal of water change per hour is a lot of water for even a 200 gal tank.

In my experience one key is to make the Refugium as efficient as possible  This means a DSB of multiple grades of sand with a rubble zone and a bright light illuminating Macroalgae that can grow over the entire sand area. Whenever I visit hobbyists tanks, the Refugium light is often too small/dim. An open sump where almost the entire bottom is sand and algae is very efficient.

It's important to make water flow within the display as efficient as possible. It doesn't necessarily take big expensive pumps. Good space under and around the rocks, with water moving over 75% or more of the sand bed makes even the weakest flow more efficient for biofiltration. Below is an illustration of the open sand bed I'm talking about.

Aloha  Hug

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic