Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

setting up a new tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: setting up a new tank
    Posted: August 13 2014 at 2:47pm
So I'm setting up a 50 corner. Got maybe 50-75 lbs of rock. Some used off Ksl and some bleached white from a friend. Tank has been cycling for a week ish now. Should I let the algae grow on the glass or is it ok to clean it off? All life is good life right now after all....
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 2:51pm
If it were me I'd purchase a very small clean up crew -- such as a few snails.  Are you getting algae on your sand?  You have enough to keep a small clean up crew fed and keep an eye on things and add to the clean up crews as the quantity of food for them increases.  Personally I don't like to let algae get out of hand, but some on here may have other opinions on that.
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 5:14pm
Yea I got a few crabs and a couple snailes already. Starting to get on the sand too.
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2014 at 7:49am
Hello Skye,

Welcome back.
If some Macroalgae is placed in the tank and given good light, it will eat up the pollution and almost completely avoid the typical Nitrogen Cycle. The reason this is so good is because water quality will never go bad. This means that all livestock (added slowly of course) will be less stressed; more comfortable. The details are here in the Reefkeeping Tips: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
I have free Macroalgae for you, old friend.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit almost anytime
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic