Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!!
    Posted: August 20 2014 at 3:19pm
i was looking at my coral beauty today and notice that one on side it looks swollen or something. i am not sure what this is. help!!!

Edited by rwgoose - August 20 2014 at 3:34pm
getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 3:21pm
i have moved recently. let my tank cycle for a little over a week before i reintroduced the fish and corals. the only new additions are one chromis and a niger trigger.
checked all lvls and all are good.
temp holds at 77, sal .024, cal 430, alk 8.4, mag 1420.
no pho, no nitrate, no nitrites..
please help!
getting fishy??
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 3:59pm
Almost impossible to see in the strong blue lighting of that pic. Using my crude graphics skills the bulge became very apparent when the contrast and color were adjusted.

Because the swelling seems to be fairly even from top to bottom, I am thinking some kind of external damage.
Is there any swelling on the right side? If so is it in the same halfway position?
Could the the CB have been sucked on to a pump intake?
Where was it living during it's wait and what were the conditions there?

Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 4:02pm
no swelling on the right. just the left. and no pump intakes in display. all fish stayed at reef oasis in orem in a 120g tank. good flow and well fed. it looked just fine when i brought it home and looked fine yesterday. i came home today and noticed..
getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 4:02pm
sorry for the bad cell phone pic.. when he straightens out it looks as if his scales are protruding as well
getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 4:18pm
these are a little better pics. as well as a full tank pic

getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 4:19pm
getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 5:08pm
no one else..

getting fishy??
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 5:15pm
Copied from another website:

Pathology
The symptom we call "dropsy" is essentially an accumulation of fluids within the body cavity. As the body swells, the scales on the body are forced outward, causing the telltale pineconelike appearance of the fish when viewed from above. A variety of things can cause dropsy, though the most common causes are opportunistic bacterial infections triggered by poor environmental conditions. Certain viral and protozoan infections can cause dropsy, as well.

Treating the entire tank may not be feasible, but I wonder if Chemiclean might be a unique and unexpected solution for the problem? Chemiclean targets only specific bad bacteria and yet I cannot recall hearing it used in this way. Who knows? It's just a thought.

Prevention
To make a point that is not heard often enough in the hobby, there’s nothing like dropsy to demonstrate that fish disease really ought to be about prevention rather than chemical therapy. At present, there are no medications I know of that can effectively cure a tropical fish stricken with dropsy once the swelling starts, which is about the time that most people first see something is wrong.

There may be something that author is unaware of at the time, but Nikki/ReefdUp will have some great input. I'd PM her to see if she has time to come here and offer suggestions.
If it is still eating, now might be a good time to coax it into a trap for removal to quarantine treatment.

**** And how about using the MarksReef Garlic Oil treatment along with ample feeding of greens and meaty foods? It may help. Here's why I'm thinking that.

Last week I had a bad case of Velvet on some fish added about a week before. A Yellow Tang and ~30 of the 50 rescued Clownfish in a 55 gal, part of my ~200 gal system. I visually checked to ensure the biofiltration was doing it's job. The system/water smelled normal too. So I did my Garlic Oil treatment for two days, skipped GO for a day, added a Cleaner Shrimp and then fed GO another three days. The Velvet has totally cleared from all the fish. The CS only worked on the YT, no other fish, so I question whether it was necessary, but it made me feel hopeful. I make no claim that GO made the Velvet go away, but it may have kept the fish healthy in other ways so they could beat the Velvet. Big smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Mark
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 5:20pm
thanks mark. i pmd nikki.. fingers crossed

getting fishy??
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 8:39pm
Dropsy is an 'old school' term for edema - swelling or fluid retention. It can be caused by a variety of things in saltwater. Unfortunately, it is usually associated with Vibrio or Uronema. Vibrio is insanely, if not impossible to treat at the hobbyist level. I recommend Kanamycin and Furan-2 treatment in QT. Uronema can be treated with freshwater dips, but it will pretty much always be present (no way to eliminate it from the display.)

How long has the fish been like this? When did it start? Any signs of blood or redness? If you decide to treat, you'll have to treat before you see red.

All that said, the fish could've just been injured. It may heal on its own.

I'm sorry...
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 8:49pm
I don't know the exact makeup of chemiclean, but it may be a form of erythromycin. Erythromycin is a broad spectrum drug, mostly targeting gram-negative bacteria...which does have some slight effectiveness against Vibrio. Even if we knew the concentration of antibiotic in Chemiclean, dosing the amount to kill Vibrio would probably crash the tank. And erythromycin can't treat a fish's internal infection, so if you see any red, this won't work. Kanamycin is the only drug I've found "readily" available to hobbyists.

I'd give Chemiclean about a 1% shot if it's Vibrio. It theoretically could do something, but I highly doubt it.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 9:11pm
i just noticed it today and i do pay pretty close attention to my fish. i have yet to see any red on the effected area or on the fish anywhere. crossing my fingers that it is just and injury and not anything else. he still eats well and is swimming well. i will keep an eye on him for the next day or so.. do i need to worry about the rest of my tank??
getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 9:13pm
also where can i get a hold of Kanamycin?? do you think this could have been caused by another fish.. if an injury.. like that trigger

getting fishy??
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 9:17pm
I had to order my kanamycin. Try Fish4u though. Injury is definitely possible.

Honestly...I would just wait it out. The fish will either get better or die on its own. Treatment is rough...if not impossible.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 9:22pm
thanks so much.. i have am thinking it is the trigger.. he was chasing my cardnals and my goby.. my gf said she say him chasing the beauty as well. he is now in the sump.. he may just be going back.. if it is injury is there anything i can do to help the healing process
getting fishy??
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 9:41pm
If he's acting normal, just reduce the stress and feed him well, with good water parameters.

If he's acting stressed, hyposalinity will help with recovery, but I don't recommend trying at this point if you've never done it before. Newbies can stress the fish out worse than if it had been left alone.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 9:54pm
he is acting normal and eating like a pig.. thanks for all your help. i was really feeling sick to my stomach about this. i really do believe it was the trigger that makes me feel bad for introducing him into my peaceful reef, but better hoping is not disease or parasite.. thanks again. i really appreciate it!!
getting fishy??
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 5:43am
Thanks Nikki. I appreciate reading your views. Waiting it out would be my route as well, with a few days of my GO treatment in good algae-meaty food of course.

Good luck with the CB
Aloha  Hug

P.S. Wink It's more fun to say dropsy, even if Ed-Emma is new tech.

Anyone want to talk about Prevention?

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 21 2014 at 6:15am
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 11:24am
update.. the trigger has been sent back to the lfs.. the coral beauty is healing quite well. which leads me to believe it was the trigger that decided to take a bite. lesson learned here, tried an aggressive fish that may or may not be a jerk.. never again.. well until i get a bigger tank with bigger fish!! :)
getting fishy??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic