Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new tank build along with a new baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
talwen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new tank build along with a new baby
    Posted: August 27 2014 at 8:50pm
Hello,

I am starting a new tank thread hopefully I can keep up with it while having a 2 week old baby girl. The baby and the tank will be 1 week apart. (baby first of course) My wife was so lovely and bought me a JBJ 24 gallon nano cube with 2 PC bulbs for my birthday. Not only did I get a fish tank my daughter was also born on my birthday. What a great birthday!! I previously had a 125 gallon tank while I lived in Arizona for a few years but had to break it down to move back. I am currently living in Heber City so sourcing for things is going to be a little more difficult and trips to the stores are going to be more expensive. (don't tell my wife)

Without further a do here are a couple of shots I have taken while setting it up.
This is a FTS with the salt mixing in it.

This is my apex mounted inside the small stand. The stand is so tiny and I think mounting this gave me more frustration then anything on my old tank.

That is the updates I have for now on the tank. I am also including a picture of my old tank just for fun.

Edited by talwen - August 27 2014 at 8:52pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 8:51pm
Congratulations on the new baby girl and the new tank!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 10:33pm
Nice
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 12:04pm
Sweet!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 6:47pm
When will we get to see a pic of the new baby?
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 7:59pm
Wow now that's a huge upgrade! Love the color of the canopy and says!
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 8:01pm
How dose the canopy doors open up?
talwen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 10:05pm
The doors on the canopy just open like regular cabinet doors there was 4 of them with a center divider. BTW that is my old tank in arizona.
talwen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 11:15pm
Thanks to Mark I was able to add some live sand, LR and dry Utah rock.  Here are a few pictures updates.

Here is the preparation picture.

Here is sand rock added and cloudy I had to wait till the next day to do aquascaping as it was to cloudy to see.

Here is the Aqua scape I am not sure if this is the final form but I am going to stare at it for a few.

Any critiques welcome.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 5:05am
I like it.
It was great to meet you. Enjoy.
Remember the Snails to eat the nuisance algae sprouts. Smile

Aloha  Hug

P.S.
How about a pic of the cute sprout that you and your wife are raising?
talwen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 11:53am
Here is a update to my thread title.

Saige Christensen

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 12:00pm
She is cute! And tanks looking great! 

J
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 12:38pm
Congrats on the baby girl and the tank is coming along nicely.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 1:00pm
She is beautiful! (but then you probably already knew that)

talwen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 2:21pm
Hello,

Update time for the nano cube I ordered a snail package from reefcleaners and am extremely happy with what was shipped. The snails all looked very healthy and there was also much more than anticipated or from what the website said. I also added more course aragonite sand as everyday the Utah oolitic sand was looking like sand dunes.

This is the USPS package that it was delivered in. When the guy dropped it off at my I stared at it for a second. The guy noticed how I was looking at it and casually said "it should be ok".

Here is the contents of the package 4 different types of snails.

Floating the bags for 15 minutes per the directions.

Snails carefully placed in bottom of tank.

Also the most important addition!!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 8:47pm
Looking good. And the tank too!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 4:03pm
Looks great! 
J
talwen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 9:05pm
Been awhile since I updated this thread you know with a baby and all not much time to post on the internet. Here is a couple pictures of the tank. Still debating on what light I want to add for better growth and more SPS. I do have one SPS that came in a bundle package of coral I bought that surprisingly has almost trippled in size under stock PC lighting. Although I did a huge water change the other day and it unfortunately was out of the water for a bit and looks to be bleaching slightly but all other corals are looking better.

First off the best photo of the bunch

Here is a few shots. Some of them didn't come out very well through the glass but you get the picture. Also don't mind the Bubble algae trying to decide if i want to keep sucking it up every water change or buy a emerald crab.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 1:00pm
I like the first picture best too but the tank is looking good!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic