Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elegance Coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elegance Coral
    Posted: July 14 2003 at 8:37am
I am just wondering what the scoop on this coral is?  Degree of difficulty, feeding, lighting, compatability and so on.  Thanks!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 5:28pm

Well, I thought someone else would take a stab at this.  I guess I'll give my take.

IME, the elegance is more difficult to keep then either the torch, hammer or frogspawn.  I've killed one elegance... just withered away, while a hammer grew fine.  At the time I wasn't feeding the corals anything other then fish food that might have gotten overlooked by the fish.  Perhaps it needs more "food" then other LPS?  Maybe I just got a bad/sick specimen?  It was sold to me as being more hardy then the hammer.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 5:34pm
Thanks Jon - Aquatic Dreams has some beautiful ones up there.  A little more than I'm wanting to spend right now anyhow.
RTaylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 8:37pm

I have heard they are hard to keep alive, long. My Dad got one from DFS about a month ago and it is starting to look pretty bad.

RT
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 8:47pm

I'm surprised others didn't jump on this question, I'll take a stab at it.  Elegance corals are naturally found in sandy seagrass areas, not on reefs.  Because of this, they don't do well in captivity.  One of the more difficult corals to keep, because people usually can't provide a good habitat for them.  I would think feeding and light would be important.

this is just my $.01 since I don't even have $.02 on these guys. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 9:28pm
Thanks for the info.  I guess I won't be getting one then!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 10:05pm
I have kept elegance corals without any problems.  Don't let hard to keep corals intimidate you.  I would read some coral identification books before you make a decision.  Elegance corals live in the worst environments of the ocean.  According to Randy @ MSM, the collectors find them by stepping on them because the water is too dirty to see through it.  Again, just here-say but who knows.  I would try to feed it directly, but I feed all my corals directly.  A healthy elegance coral can be very gorgeous and a great center peice.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 6:54am

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus on 14 July 2003

*snip*

According to Randy @ MSM, the collectors find them by stepping on them because the water is too dirty to see through it.

*snip*

Ah ha!  that's probably why mine died, someone stepped on it .

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 6:56am
hahaha, could have been, just then again whey are you letting your kids walk IN your tank?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 8:29am

I can't afford to take the whole family to the caribbean so I let the kids snorkle in  the tank... it's cheaper in the long run

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 9:17am

Great, now I need a bigger tank - I can only get my head in mine...

Seriously though the first meeting I attended was when Julian Sprung came and he talked about elegance corals a bit.  I didn't understand much of what he said cause I was so new but it boiled down to most of them are infected with a disease and should be treated with anti-biotics in a quarantine tank before placing them in your show tank.  He says if this is done correctly they are actually pretty hardy.  (I have no opinion on this just relaying what I remember)

Dave

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 9:33am

The treatment with antibiotics is of course up for debate, as are so many of the topics in this hobby.  In this article:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178150&highlight=elegance

Eric Borneman says, "You may want to try experimental treatments, and Julain Sprung has suggested he has successfully treated elegance with this condition with antibiotics. I have had heard of no success yet by others treating with antibiotics. "

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 12:18pm

You kinda get the impression that Eric doesn't approve of Julian's methods/observations/conculsion.  We should all take heart, even the "talking heads", and there are other "conflicts" other then Eric/Julian, in the hobby don't always see eye to eye, why should anyone expect anything different from us mere hobbiests?

(there must be some money to be made selling books )

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 6:51pm

Maybe I was just lucky in keeping mine.  I did not treat it all, I just took it out of the bag and dropped it in. 

Sarnack, you do not need a bigger tank.  Jon only has a 20 and he says his kids snorkel in it.  haha.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 7:58pm

What can I say, I've got small kids

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic