Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get rid of this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
craigory23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigory23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I get rid of this?
    Posted: September 05 2014 at 6:43pm
I did some research and I'm pretty sure it's cyanobacteria. It almost goes away at night but as soon as I turn my lights on it starts coming out again and I'm just worried that it's going to start covering my corals. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm still trying to figure out how to post a pic
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 7:42pm
What are your parameters? Specifically nitrates and phosphates.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 11:54pm
Because algae eats up Nitrogen and Phosphorus compounds, those levels often test within normal limits. I wouldn't bother testing, but if you do, don't be surprised that they are okay.

Look in the Reefkeeping Tips thread below for the links to excellent discussions about Eliminating Cyanobacteria and nuisance algae.
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Come back here if you still have trouble. Algae control is one of my specialties. A pic is always very helpful. Feel free to send a pic to 808-345-1049 or to [email protected]

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic