Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question Tap Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question Tap Water
    Posted: September 13 2014 at 12:44pm
I have a question Here in California we do not dare to use the Tap water here for our Reef tanks I have always used RODI , I was wondering if any one know if any one is using tap water for top off that lives in or near Saratoga Springs i do not want Phosphates In my new system , I keep looking online for water quality report s for my area were i will be moving any help would be greatly appreciated it  Thank you all and God Bless you 
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 1:54pm
Use RO, I would never use tap regardless of where you are. Water reports are only a glimpse and you never know the types of heavy metals and other things it can introduce into your tank unless you test it yourself. Plus there are planty of stores in Utah county that let you get RO for free or cheep

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by danhenrie danhenrie wrote:

Use RO, I would never use tap regardless of where you are. Water reports are only a glimpse and you never know the types of heavy metals and other things it can introduce into your tank unless you test it yourself. Plus there are planty of stores in Utah county that let you get RO for free or cheep

Well the house that we bought has a water sofiner threw the whole house and the kitchen sink as an RO system as well do you think that would be okay to use ?
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 3:47pm
The water softener can introduce potassium and/or sodium into the water which the RO should remove but check your levels or bring it to your LFS to have it checked just to be safe, but the main difference in the built in RO versus the commercial RO is the output. Just make sure your using the correct filters, that are replaced when needed and you should be good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by danhenrie danhenrie wrote:

The water softener can introduce potassium and/or sodium into the water which the RO should remove but check your levels or bring it to your LFS to have it checked just to be safe, but the main difference in the built in RO versus the commercial RO is the output. Just make sure your using the correct filters, that are replaced when needed and you should be good
sound like i just need to find a place to get RO water or maybe get RODI any recommendation also do you know of a good place to get Saltwater i will be felling a 225 gallon tank along with a 60 gallon sump  
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 5:22pm
Lots and lots of people use tap water.  I would.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 9:24pm

[/QUOTE]
Well the house that we bought has a water sofiner threw the whole house and the kitchen sink as an RO system as well do you think that would be okay to use ?

[/QUOTE]

If the house was plumbed properly, your cold water tap in the kitchen would not be soft water.  You can test for that to confirm.  Also, many RO/DI users would agree that if you plumb your unit to a soft water tap that your filters will last longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

[/QUOTE]

If the house was plumbed properly, your cold water tap in the kitchen would not be soft water.  You can test for that to confirm.  Also, many RO/DI users would agree that if you plumb your unit to a soft water tap that your filters will last longer.

[/QUOTE]

were could i go and get my fresh water Tested to see if it safe for my reef tank ? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Adam

Are you using Tap water ? if so do you have a picture of your tank 
simpleyork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 11:56pm
I use tap water all the time
here's proof it looks good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 12:00am

Do you ever have an isue with PO4 Phosphates and heavy medals ?

QUOTE=simpleyork] I use tap water all the time
here's proof it looks good
[/QUOTE]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 6:53am
The short answer is Yes, an RO unit in the kitchen can provide purified water that is good for a reef aquarium. 

In case you are interested, here is the long answer. Wink I started writing and couldn't stop. Geek
How much do you know about the reasons for using RO water?   RO/DI water? 
Do you know about TDS(Total Dissolved Solids)? Do you know that the major "impurity" in tap water is calcium and alkalinity?
What is the TDS level of the tap water there at your current house in California? What is the TDS level at the new house in Saratoga Springs? The most recent Annual Water Report for the city of Saratoga Springs lists the TDS as 155-382 ppm
Is the RO system in the new house working properly? Do you know how to test it? If desired, can you bring your water purification unit with you to the new house for your aquarium?

Adam and Chris/SimplyYork replied that they use tapwater. There are others I know, and many I don't know, that also use water from the tap, adding a water conditioner product. The question to ask is "How do they make it work?" What is it about their system that utilizes the higher level of dissolved solids so that it does not negatively impact their reef animals? How does the higher TDS make their reef different compared to the one next door that uses purified water?

You are concerned about PO4. That's good. Though it's never listed on the labels, PO4 is a major ingredient in fish foods. PO4 is an absolutely necessary nutrient for all organisms, even coral. Fortunately, the hobby knows how to deal with and remove extra PO4 that builds up over time in aquarium water with feedings. As you may already know, there are two types of very effective PO4 removal media, AA and GFO. AA(Activated Alumina) works faster, is more affordable than GFO and contrary to what is sometimes reported, causes no significant bad effects.

Concerned with heavy metals? The minuscule amount of heavy metals such as copper, lead, etc. that occur in tap water here in the Salt Lake and Utah County areas are of very little consequence. Thankfully, where they may be a problem, the hobby knows how to deal with and remove them from the aquarium water, both with filter media and with living organisms that consume the metallic compounds as part of their nutritional requirements.

It's important to learn the reasons why we do what we do and to observe the results of the different methods of keeping a reef aquarium. I'm impressed that you wanted to see pics of the tanks using tap water.

For me, the reason I use RO water is a matter of prevention. The reason I don't add a DI chamber to the unit is because I view it as an unnecessary use of resources that could be directed in more productive ways. I would abandon the RO unit and just use tap water, if I could be assured that it would not have some temporary impurity causing a detrimental effect on my budding livelihood, MarksReef Coral Farm.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. If there is a distinction in plumbing a house with a Water Softener Unit, it's typically the cold water side that is soft water. Soft water on the hot water side will build up sodium deposits faster than ordinary tap water will build up calcium deposits. Just FYI. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 9:40am
 My experience has lead me to beleive that LPS and Softies with stand the use of tapwater better than SPS.
I would be curious to see a SPS dominated tank that was using tapwater for topoff and water changes.

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

My experience has lead me to beleive that LPS and Softies with stand the use of tapwater better than SPS.
I would be curious to see a SPS dominated tank that was using tapwater for topoff and water changes.

Yes I would to as I plan on keeping SPS and LPS but I thing I will fill my tank up with
RO water after I get it tested . I can't wait to get back to Utah so I can get moved into my new home
Being a first time home owner is way exciting for me and even more so because I get to set up a large tank
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by catchoftheday catchoftheday wrote:

Adam

Yep I do!  I can text you pics right now, or feel free to swing by anytime.  Although, I'm not all that close to you.  

Adam
danhenrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhenrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 2:44pm
I'm with Mark on this. Its a matter of prevention, my history of work at water treatment facilities leads me to only use RO. I was a tap water guy after looking at Adams tank and others when I lived in Utah. But the frequency with which the water is tested and reported leads me to worry about putting tap water in my tank. Not to mention bacteria that aren't tested for because they don't affect humans can have a profound effect on marine life. And Saratoga Springs has had there share of boil water orders as well, which orders usually don't come down till people get sick. I also like working with a clean slate knowing what I need to add to my water because I started with nothing but H2O. So really it's your choice be a hypochondriac or live your life. I wish I could chose not to worry cause tap is just more convenient.
All I do is fly planes and look at this stupid website.

Admit you have a problem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 2:52pm

Originally posted by catchoftheday catchoftheday wrote:

Adam

Yep I do!  I can text you pics right now, or feel free to swing by anytime.  Although, I'm not all that close to you.  

Adam

Please text to me at 949-444-6316

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 3:13pm
since the house i bought has a RO system ware can i buy new membranes also i think i will just add the DI stage if i can find a place that sells it 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:12pm
I agree with Paul/builderofdreams about SPS liking us when we start with purified water. 

I was shopping HD and Lowes just the other day for this stuff. Their prices have skyrocketed. They don't carry generic stuff anymore! Used to be able to get 2-packs of sediment and carbon filters for $10 and $15 respectively. Now they want upwards of $30 for individual pieces

Ok, almost everything can be purchased online these days, so here I go...

I just googled "ro membrane at amazon". There is a 75 gpd membrane for $30 and free shipping over $35 Clap I'm jumping on it because I also need some new membranes, carbon(found 4/$26) and sediment filters(found 4/$19). Smile

Aloha,
Mark   Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:46pm
Pics sent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic