Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cirolanid Isopods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cirolanid Isopods
    Posted: September 15 2014 at 3:13pm

Well, I bought a nice piece of live rock to seed my new tank that has been cycling.  I purchased a fish to introduce to the tank.  Late last night I notice I have the lovely Cirolanid vampires.  I guess I'm asking opinions on how to take  care of this parasite before it gets out of control.  Some of the options I have came across are starving them out.  Which could take months and still not have a guarantee they are gone.  I have also thought about nuking the tank with interceptor.  My pod population is not very high yet and in my opinion this seems to be the best option.  I realize it takes quite a larger dose of medication then redbugs.  Any thoughts, or opinions?

Thanks

Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 12:28am
Are they attaching to the fish? How do you know they're the bad isopods? I've seen people think chitons and harmless isopods were the bad ones.

I've actually only ever seen one of these isopods in person, and I've never treated for them, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

I've heard of people getting a bunch of "disposable" fish (clownfish that need to be culled, mollies, damsels, etc.) and placing them in the tank. As soon as the isopods attach, the fish are caught and removed. This is repeated several times to make sure all the isopods are gone.

Interceptor could work, but it's off the market. Good luck finding any.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 3:52pm
Yes they are attaching to my fish.  So far I have only seen 2.  I know interceptor is off the market, but just a little FYI for anyone that needs it.  I have been told Sentinel tablets contain the same exact active ingredient Milbemycin Oxime.  I may just test it out and see if it is as effective as the interceptor was.
Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 4:23pm
By chance could you mention where you got the live rock?? Wonder if this is an isolated incident or more could pop up!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 4:34pm
Can you post a pic of them
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 4:43pm
I have plucked them off fish by using tweezers and reaching in the tank.  Eventually the fish swim up to your hand to get them off.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 5:33pm
Unfortunately I can not get a pic of these little guys. But they look like pill bugs. This morning the fish looks clean and no sign of the parasite.
Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 5:53pm
Have you tried raising or , lowerinlg the sallenty.
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 8:16pm
Just an update on this.  I found a little pile of these guys in the sand.  It looks like I have caught 2 different species. One deffinatly being the bug from hell and another that looks similar but has a large white spot on its lower back.  These things are way too small for me to take a picture of.
Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 8:44pm
Did a little more research. Thinking the other species is Sphaeromatidae isopod.... I hope. 
Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 9:30pm
The sphaero isopods are cute lil buggers. I think I have a photo of the male and females on my site. No harm with them. Sorry about the others.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Bryguy514 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryguy514 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 3:27pm
Yup, that looks like it.  I dunno about cute, but they are fun to watch.The tank has been up for about 2 months.  I turned off the lights and these things are EVERYWHERE!  So I definitely ruled out the possibility of these guys being the Cirolanid, since I only have one fish and he is doing just fine.
Bountiful, UT 84010

180 Gallon Reef

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic