Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

losing the battle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: losing the battle
    Posted: September 15 2014 at 7:19pm
i am fighting iche.. the first go round happened about a week ago.. lost two fish.. then the symptoms dissappeared.. its back.. i am using no-ich tank treatment that doesnt harm corals.. this has driven me to set up my 55 as a quarantine tank but it needs some time to be ready.. it is just killing me watching my fish die.. i feel so bad.. i am feeding with garlic oil to help them eat.. temp is up.. and using this treatment.. anything else i can do.. i have lost about ten fish in 4 days.. 
getting fishy??
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 9:52pm
My best advise and this is just what i do, i feed garlic soaked food a few time a day i dont like to add all those chemicals i feel it stress the fish out more and chose more harm than good but this is just what i do only if you have ick 
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 10:08pm
RW -

What size tank? How long running? Where are your nitrates at?

It is my experience that healthy fish don't get ick; and if  one fish in the tank gets it, the rest should be mostly able to fight it off. Sounds like you have some overriding issue that is stressing / weakening your fish...

10 fish is a lot to lose. Sorry to hear about this
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 12:18am
Raising temp actually speeds the process for saltwater "ich" (it slows freshwater ich). Lowering the temp will slow it all down and buy you time.

Edited by ReefdUp - September 16 2014 at 12:19am
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 5:59am
I agree with Bob and ReefdUp.

The Garlic product being used is not working. An effective garlic treatment should clear Ich in a day or two. Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons why many hobbyists believe that garlic doesn't work. They didn't do it right. This may seem a bold thing for me to say, but I have had a little experience with this. Read on.

Found along with a plethora of good discussions on many critical topics in the Reefkeeping Tips thread utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244 are these listed below, regarding Ich.

Garlic Oil - Best garlic and treatment directions: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71349

Adding new fish, Fish Training and the Miracle of Garlic Oil: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34014

I would be happy to chat and even to visit and offer suggestions regarding your reef aquarium pets. Please call or text me at the number below.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
MarksReef Coral & Fish Farm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 8:03am
its a 90g display with a 55 sump. i just moved it a little over a month ago.. kept a good portion of existing water, rinsed my sand and all that jazz. i checked my nitrates two weeks ago and they were zero.. i am afraid that i over crowded my tank. at one point we were at 30 fish..
getting fishy??
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 8:33am
30 fish in a 90? I have like 9 in a 150
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 10:02am
RW -

30 fish in a 90g tank is way past overcrowding.

I love fish, and I generally run what most people woould look at as 'crowded' reef tanks.
I have 17 fish in my 90g.

At one time I had 20 -  and that was too many / too much bioload.

Even now, I will probably pull 2 or 3 more fish out, and get down to 15 or so.

Your overall nutrient levels are probably very high; add in the territorial tendencies of most fish and the competition for food and dominance... not a good environment.

What kind of corals do you have (if any)? How are they faring? My guess is any SPS in there are
not doing too well, maybe browned out or receding. Do you have problems with algae and cyano building up? Do you run a skimmer? Refugium? pO4 remover and carbon?

I hate to say this... you will probably continue to lose fish until you have about 8 - 10 left. Then your population will be low enough that the stress factors of water quality and space / territory will subside, at least to the point that the surviving fishes natural defense mechanisms against disease will stabilize and allow them to fight off the infection naturally.

justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 10:12am
I have about 15 in my 90G tank...  lost of great movement from my Anthias and Wrasse's as well as a unique blend of other colorful fish! 

55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 12:15pm
Hate to break up the party but Teknik  has 28 fish in his 90 and you all know how good his tank looks. 

I have loads of fish in my 150 including three large tangs, two rabbit fish, an eel, and a shark. 

It can be done.  Just sayin'.

150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 12:25pm

True, but Allen takes extra measures - like running a Korallin Denitrator to help handle the fishload; and his tank is well established otherwise, and wasn't moved and re - set up month ago...

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 1:35pm
Aloha  Hug
Well, I went over to see the rwgoose tank this morning. This cute hobbyist family (the 3 kids get involved too) really enjoys the hobby and is doing a good job with their tank. The fish are all small, so the numbers are a little misleading. Yes, there is some Ich but the problem that is really killing the fish is Velvet. This disease has been almost an epidemic among hobbyists here lately. I had a problem with it recently as well. I am fortunate that my fish all have kicked the Velvet. Not one loss, thanks to every other day feeding with Garlic Oil for about 2 weeks.  The fish were certainly stressed, but the environment in this tank is good. Rwgoose now has some of my special Garlic Oil Gel Capsules to help keep the fish from succumbing to Velvet and Ich. Time will tell. Keeping our fingers crossed. Smile
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Aloha  Hug
Well, I went over to see the rwgoose tank this morning. This cute hobbyist family (the 3 kids get involved too) really enjoys the hobby and is doing a good job with their tank. The fish are all small, so the numbers are a little misleading. Yes, there is some Ich but the problem that is really killing the fish is Velvet. This disease has been almost an epidemic among hobbyists here lately. I had a problem with it recently as well. I am fortunate that my fish all have kicked the Velvet. Not one loss, thanks to every other day feeding with Garlic Oil for about 2 weeks.  The fish were certainly stressed, but the environment in this tank is good. Rwgoose now has some of my special Garlic Oil Gel Capsules to help keep the fish from succumbing to Velvet and Ich. Time will tell. Keeping our fingers crossed. Smile

God Bless you , Good reef Karma coming your way . 
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 5:16pm
Since you are already establishing a quarantine tank, take this opportunity to put all your remaining fish in a quarantine tank for the period established by the experts to rid your reef tank of ich.  And promise yourself that you will always quarantine new fish before adding them to your reef tank.  That is, if you want an ich free tank.  Garlic will NOT kill the parasite that is now present in your tank.

Edited by Molli - September 16 2014 at 5:17pm
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 9:33pm
Thanks for all the info everyone! Mark, having you come by was great and I am very happy that you did. I love any and all information that I can gather.. Bob, I agree. I do believe that we got carried away with the fish.. Just had my fingers crossed that all would work out.. Live and learn I say. I do run a fuge and a skimmer.. even looking to upgrade my skimmer as my next purchase (instead of fish).. I have a plan to expand my fuge as well.. making it about a 30g.. All my corals are doing well to be honest.. That was what was throwing me off.. even my sps.. but I do have a diatom outbreak.. I run carbon and phosguard in my sock.. I am prepared but sad to lose more fish.. I have two clowns that I am certain I am going to lose.. maybe my rabbit as well.. Everyone else is eating strong and seem to be doing better.. Those losses will put me around 15... and then no more fish!!! Again, thanks everyone for the info and the ideas..
getting fishy??
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 10:22pm
Do you have a uvray filter?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 6:31am
I see no good reason to lose any more fish. Follow my suggestions on tweaking the system and feed the fish well with that MarksReef Garlic Treatment every day for a few days and then every other day for another week or two.

Aloha  Hug

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic