Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Millcreek FNG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slakwhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slakwhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millcreek FNG
    Posted: September 16 2014 at 11:22am
hey folks,

I just purchased the basic parts for my first salt tank, and the guy I got my stuff from said you were a great bunch that i should sync up with... so here i am!

I grabbed a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump, skimmer, pumps, powerheads and heaters. i'll be cleaning everything up over the next couple of weeks, replumbing it and getting ready to cycle it for some corals and fish.

Just wanted to come introduce myself and start checking out the community. I look forward to getting to know you all Smile
rookie
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 11:25am
Welcome! Glade to have you hear! This is a great bunch and we have a lot of fun. 

Is this your first tank? 

Welcome! 

J
slakwhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slakwhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 11:27am
This is my first tank. I was inspired by a buddy i visited in California last month with a 150g setup. I came home and made a price list that quickly got out of hand, but then happened on a great deal on KSL so i dove in. :)
rookie
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 11:29am
Ya you can end up spending alot of money on a new tank! Luckly you can also find great deals at places like KSL and here on the board. 

Let us know what you need help with as you are starting up! We are hear to help! 

J
slakwhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slakwhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 11:32am
yes, i figured a used tank this size was a great way to figure out if i'm really into it. less up front cost and a known working setup makes things cheaper and easier. Once everything's clean i'll surely be asking about recommendations for local shops for live rock (and maybe sand?), making sure i get a good foundation and eventually livestock.

do you have any recommendations on cleaning all this used stuff? it was put away dirty and is pretty grimy... i want to start fresh from square 1.
rookie
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 2:18pm

In my opinion, used half price stuff is the best way to do this hobby. Thumbs Up

My advice on setting up a tank always starts with this thread.
An Affordable Reef Aquarium and Reefkeeping Tips: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

As far as cleaning, use water only, no soap. Where it's desirable to remove a build up of calcium, white vinegar is awesome because it starts to dissolve the calcium deposits making it easy to scrape off with a straight razor blade. Be careful not to scratch the glass. Always scrape the glass wet not dry.
Open up and clean the pumps in tapwater with an old toothbrush.

Dry rock that was once alive but has been out of water for a while can cause real big problems. There is a way to clean and prepare it, but it can be difficult. On the other hand, Utah rock and Utah Oolitic sand look great, are sterile, work awesome and are very affordable. Add in a portion of Live stuff from another hobbyist tank (LS, LR, Macroalgae and LW) and there is no need to wait for the tank to cycle. This is explained in the Affordable Reef Aquarium thread linked above.

You are invited to visit with me at MarksReef Coral & Fish Farm in Murray. I give away free LS, LR, Macroalgae and advice to all hobbyists, especially newbies. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049 (pls call/text ahead)
750 E. Lakepoint Dr.(~5550 So.) #4V 

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
slakwhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slakwhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 2:33pm
Mark,

thank you so much for the generous offer for LS, LR and Macroalgae! it sounds like that will for sure reduce my cycle time and get me off on the right foot. i still have a bunch of work to do on the used gear to make sure it's clean, and some reading to do before i'm comfortable enough to actually get started... but i'm willing to bet i'll see you at the shop in the days/weeks to come! [i am also waiting for some work to be done to my house where the tank will go, so i guess time will tell on that too]

that thread you posted (and the links in it) seem like it'll keep me busy for a while!
rookie
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 2:45pm
white vinegar is your friend for cleaning.  In fact, if you have lots of stuff or larger items, several gallons on white vinegar in a bucket can do wonders over several hours or even over night.  DO NOT put rocks/sand in vinegar. 

What lights you have?  Toss up some pics, and we can give you a multitude of opinions and options for every thing we see.  Then you can pick and choose LOL

you can make rock into forms you like 'better' with gorilla glue and patience and time, I did so in my tank, and it's currently getting covered in coralline algae.

Look through the many tank threads to get ideas of what you would like to do/accomplish.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
slakwhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slakwhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 2:48pm
CT i saw your build and am loving the rock structures you built!

sounds like white vinegar and a bucket for the powerheads, skimmer and pump at first, and a good scrubbing for the tank and sump! I don't currently have any rock or sand, so basically everything i have needs a good cleaning.

i will grab some pics of all my gear tonight! also picked up a 300GPD RO/DI system so i know water won't be a problem, but the colors of the filters have me thinking about replacing them before i start as well.
rookie
slakwhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slakwhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 5:55pm
here are some pictures of all my new (used) gear. definitely all needs a cleaning! any idea what that skimmer make/model is?

Edited by slakwhere - September 16 2014 at 5:56pm
rookie
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 9:09pm
Looks like a Euroreef skimmer to me
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
slakwhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slakwhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 9:17pm
thanks, bob! Thumbs Up
rookie
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 9:20pm
Welcome! I too am in Millcreek and am willing to help anyway I can!! Feel free to stop by any time and have a look for ideas or just to talk some fish!!
getting fishy??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic