Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

210g of Serenity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 210g of Serenity
    Posted: September 17 2014 at 7:32pm
So I got a really good deal on a 210g, but it was defiantly not a good time getting it into my basement.

The stand was in pretty bad shape so I ended up building one.

Gave it a few coats of Kilz.  I am going to wait to skin everything until the winter, once its all up and running.  Also need to wait until my wife decides what color to paint the basement...

Hopefully I can get the tank on the stand this week, so if anyone is bored one afternoon let me know! Wink

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 8:43am
Looks nice.
I would suggest cutting larger holes for the bulkheads. If and when a bulkhead needs to be removed or tightened, a larger hole gives more room to get a wrench and your hands around it.
It's so much better to build it to make easy repairs. Believe me, I've worked on plenty of systems where there was no forethought regarding repair/maintenance. In those cases, I found a tool made for Rainbird sprinklers that works for bulkhead nuts in tight spaces. Adding to the beauty of this tool, the metal can be bent to fit different size bulkhead nuts. 
The pic below is linked from the Rainbird website.

Aloha  Hug
MarksReef Coral Farm  808-345-1049

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 8:57am
Smile  Assuming that you want feedback about potential problems, I see something else, vertical 2x4 supports coming up from the bottom cross members. What are those about?

Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Looks nice.
I would suggest cutting larger holes for the bulkheads. If and when a bulkhead needs to be removed or tightened, a larger hole gives more room to get a wrench and your hands around it.
It's so much better to build it to make easy repairs. Believe me, I've worked on plenty of systems where there was no forethought regarding repair/maintenance. In those cases, I found a tool made for Rainbird sprinklers that works for bulkhead nuts in tight spaces. Adding to the beauty of this tool, the metal can be bent to fit different size bulkhead nuts. 
The pic below is linked from the Rainbird website.

Aloha  Hug
MarksReef Coral Farm  808-345-1049

Having had to work on several tanks with the problem Mark describes here I agree 100% with what he said about larger holes in the stand for the plumbing.
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 1:02pm
How much did you spend on making the stand i need to make one for my 225 gallon 

Originally posted by Baccara Baccara wrote:

So I got a really good deal on a 210g, but it was defiantly not a good time getting it into my basement.

The stand was in pretty bad shape so I ended up building one.

Gave it a few coats of Kilz.  I am going to wait to skin everything until the winter, once its all up and running.  Also need to wait until my wife decides what color to paint the basement...

Hopefully I can get the tank on the stand this week, so if anyone is bored one afternoon let me know! Wink

I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 4:45pm
The bulkhead cut out is actually 6" x 11", the angle makes them look pretty small.  The tank is now on the stand and I double checked to make sure about having sufficient space to service the bulkheads and it does.  I appreciate your feedback Mark Peterson.

There is actually nothing going under the stand, that is the reason for the vertical 2" x 4".  I put them in for a little extra support.  There is a bedroom behind the tank wall that will be my fish room.  It will house the sump, quarantine and frag tanks.

catchoftheday
The lumber, screws and paint cost me around $100 from home depot
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 5:06pm
After a week long leak test, week long rock set up and another week to make my water.....
The tank is finally up and running!
Let the wait begin
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 6:31pm
Let's see some pics
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 8:02pm
FTS

Sump- Thanks backwards32!

Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 8:04pm
I am going to try out a 90g mangrove refugium.  There is a lot of cable management to do but you get the idea.

Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 8:06pm
I started filling up my quarantine tank tonight too! ;) Hopefully I can get that cycled and start quarantining some fish next month.

relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 2:37pm
How is the tank coming? 
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 3:05pm
Slow and steady.  There has been some good growth on the mangrove roots and I finally got the canopy on with some lights burning.  I am trying out some evergrow D2120 leds but built the canopy tall enough to take some mh reflectors if I end up going that route.  I also built a water change station.  I am going to start working on skinning the stand next week and will have some pictures soon.
210g Display in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic