Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoa ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dbb123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbb123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoa ID
    Posted: October 13 2014 at 11:58pm
what are these guys?

I have named them "halloweens"  but i have a hard time finding what they are actually called. I love them!  under the night light, they look like a black mass with little orange dots.
dbb123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbb123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 11:58pm
pm the answer if you dont mind

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 12:22pm
Okay then, they are Halloweens. Approve

Here is a place where you can see pics of a lot of Zoanthids. See if your Halloweens are there:

Aloha  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
dbb123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbb123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 11:31pm
after doing quite a bit of research, i think these are actually called gorilla nipples...  does anybody have any reason to believe that they are not gorilla nipples?  I just like to keep some continuity across common names and would really like to call these by the correct name.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:21am
A search on the internet turns up many images of slightly different color combinations of Zoanthid commonly called Gorilla Nipples. Common names are just that, common. There is nothing official about them. Why not call them by your name - Halloweens. You know that is how all these common names were derived in the first place, right?

Years ago, one of my daughters, the one that was into biology more than the others, saw our first Royal Gramma and called it Flower. Thereafter in our home that fish and it's successors were always called Flower. Smile

Here is a bit of trivia, at least as I understand it. Zoa colors are mostly due to the combination of colorful symbiotic Zooxanthellae Algae living in their tissue. It may also be that just like our common Zoanthids are the same species, but appear as many different colors, the Zooxanthellae algae in their tissue may be all the same species, just reflecting different colors. In a way, this is similar to the varieties of skin, hair, eye color, shapes, sizes and etc. in the sole species of Homo sapiens currently remaining on this planet. (Well, except for Bigfoot. Embarrassed )

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
I never have liked that 'nipples' name. Halloweens is a much nicer name. Approve
My feelings about this are probably influenced by that same daughter who, when she saw our first red mushrooms with a protruding mouth-anus opening, exclaimed, "Eww gross". She thought they looked like, well, you know. Embarrassed

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 15 2014 at 8:23am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:25pm
They are Gorilla Nipples.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic