Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grounding Probes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grounding Probes
    Posted: October 21 2014 at 2:21pm
Thoughts??? 

Who has em and who doesnt? 

Who Swears by them and who thinks they are a waste????

Thinking about getting one but want to know if its worth it!

Justin
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 2:57pm
I won't do a tank without one.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:12pm
I have one in my sump. It's between the skimmer, heater and main pump. No more tingle on the fish or me when I play in the tank. Like LaRue said, wouldn't go without one again.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:17pm
I disagree with them in principle. I think they're more dangerous than safe.

Just thought I'd throw that grenade in...discuss!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:21pm
so on what basis do you consider them unsafe? 
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:21pm
ReefdUp... Thanks for the random 2cents... BUT... what are the reasons you say this? I hear many people scream how wonderful they are... then Others.... Like you... Just say don't do it!!! and no reasoning behind it! 
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:25pm
A grounding probe does not mean you can safely use faulty equipment. A multimeter should be used to check for current and anything that is creating it should be replaced.

There is no need for a grounding probe...
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:34pm
in short - the ground probe will protect you from electrical shock, but could potentially harm corals and fish by sending a current through them...

stray voltage is harmless to your animals, the current is not.

if you are passionate about a ground probe, i would suggest at least hooking it to a GFCI, so you know when current is flowing....but multimeter is easiest to periodically check.
millsu2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millsu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:56pm
If the tank has faulty equipment and there is no path from the water to ground, then there won't be any current flow in the tank. If you add a ground probe, then the current will flow through the water and anything in it its path to get to the ground. This could potentially have negative effects on anything alive in the tank that the current passes through.

The purpose of the ground probe isn't to protect living things inside the aquarium, but to protect anyone who might be grounded and then sticks their hand in the water. The ground probe has less resistance, so the current flows through it instead of you.

I have never used a ground probe and have been keeping aquariums for 20 years. I have had a couple faulty powerheads/heaters, but have only ever felt a slight tingle from the stray current. There is potential for a deadly current, but I don't what the chances are of that happening. This may be because I have always used a GFCI outlet, which disables the outlet if it detects current flowing outside the circuit.

In short:
If you care more for your/your families safety then the aquarium inhabitants, use a ground probe/gfci.
If you care more for the safety of your aquarium inhabitants than yourself, don't use a ground probe.

Edited by millsu2 - October 21 2014 at 3:58pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 4:02pm
Thanks for the info - I ask as many people I have talked to said it has saved them from being shocked and they would NEVER have a tank without one... All my equipment is new except for my return pump. Glad I asked as many people have may thoughts on this... Personally Millsu2.... Im with you on the last part currently.... I woul dlike one but havent ever put effort into getting one... Looked at amazon today and then asked in here about them to gather more info!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by justchillinuno justchillinuno wrote:

ReefdUp... Thanks for the random 2cents... BUT... what are the reasons you say this? I hear many people scream how wonderful they are... then Others.... Like you... Just say don't do it!!! and no reasoning behind it! 

I just wanted to see what would happen if I threw that out there. I have reasoning behind it...as others have already posted. If a piece of equipment is faulty, the current won't flow through the tank unless it has a path (like to a grounding probe).
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 4:03pm
SO in theory, If im ALWAYS on a plastic Step Stool on Carpet over an Elevated wood floor when I reach into my tank I should not have an issue as I would not be grounded out thus not giving a path for the current to flow... am I correct in this thinking?

55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 4:11pm
you at least shouldnt get a major shock that will throw u back or hurt u. but u may still feel a tingle as stray voltage can leave your body into the air around you even if u arent grounded, it would only be a very small amount and sometimes not noticable. a little electronics and electrical engineering knowlege can go a long way in this subject
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 6:19pm
Hotly debated topic. I still use them and likely will continue the practice. To keep it awa from my coral and fish it goes in the sump. Let the debate continue! I'm learning lots here.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:13am
I believe that an understanding of and healthy respect for electricity can moderate the debate.
I believe we would all agree that the ocean is grounded, right? The idea of having our little piece of the ocean connected to the ground makes sense, right? Yes, but here's where the difficulty arises.

If the insulation on an electrical component breaks, electrical energy comes in contact with the tank water. Sitting in this glass/plastic box the electricity has nowhere to go (Unless the insulation breaks on both wires. This makes a short circuit through the water immediately surrounding the break).

Where a grounding probe is present, the stray electricity runs from the break to the grounding probe. As it travels through the water, it shocks anything in it's path. Salt water does not carry electricity as well as copper wire so the electricity has to spread out to reach the grounding probe. This essentially electrifies the entire tank.

Where a grounding probe is not present, the electricity is waiting to go somewhere and will move to any place it can. When we poke our hand into the water, a tiny amount of electricity will move to our hand, but as long as we are not touching something else, even another person, standing or kneeling on wet surfaces, the electricity will stop and not travel through our body. (In H.S. Vocational Electronics our teacher had us hold hands in a circle around the classroom to complete an electrical circuit, while he gradually increased the Voltage but kept the Amperage at very close to zero. As I recall most of us let go as the Voltage neared around 40 Volts.)

I believe that the concern with electricity in our aquarium should not be whether a grounding probe is used or not used, but rather, whether or not all our electrical equipment is properly insulated. There is an easy way to check this with a voltage meter. Set the meter for 100+ Volts AC and with one probe touching the round ground socket of a wall outlet or power strip or held tight against the grounding probe while it is removed from the water, place the other probe into the tank water. If the voltage reads higher than about 40 Volts, especially if it reads over 100 Volts, there is an insulation problem. (Voltage below 40 is normal ground voltage.) To find the faulty item, unplug things one by one until a sharp drop in voltage is seen. That item is the culprit.

I should also add that unless a grounding probe and electrical equipment are plugged into a GFCI protected circuit, the purpose of the grounding probe to prevent electrical issues like shock and fire is thwarted.
Also, when the GFCI trips/breaks the electricity and all power to the tank is lost for many hours, there may be more serious matters to deal with. For this reason I suggest that one circulation pump or the return pump be connected to an ordinary outlet that won't go off accidentally. Some hobbyists reported that the GFCI was tripping accidentally for no good reason leaving their tank to teeter on the edge of a crash because of no water movement.

Electrical safety is very important. I solidly attach power strips upside down inside the stand, away from where salt water could accidentally drip into the socket. (Right here in the WMAS, fires have been caused by salt water dripping on electrical connections.) This also makes for easy, one handed unplugging. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic