Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY battery backup for Vortechs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY battery backup for Vortechs
    Posted: November 04 2014 at 12:18pm
Hey all I follow a fellow reefer on instagram and he had posted about doing a DIY battery backup for Vortechs and he gave me the links. In all I spent about 29 bucks on this and it plugged right into my mp10es. I got it plugged in last night and it worked. the question now is how long will the mp run off the battery. I'm going to give it a full day to charge the battery and then I will let the mp run off it to see how long it will go. I will report back.

here is what I bought.

"DC 18V 12V 9V 6V Barrel Plug Power Cable 6ft AC Adapter Extender Extension Cord" is the adapter you can buy off ebay and you need to select male plug OD; 3.5mm ID: 1.35mm/1.3mm from the drop down box.

this is the battery "Belkin Residential Gateway (RG) Battery Backup REV-B BU3DC001-12V"

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 12:54pm
I have not looked at the parts you listed. Do they maintain a charge on the battery? That would be necessary for me. I can't keep up with water changes much less charging the battery for the if or when I need it.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 5:46pm
The belkin battery back up stays plugged in so that it always has a charge for when the power goes out. I'm guessing it would hold a charge without constantly being plugged in but I'm not sure for how long.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 2:14pm
quick update. last night I left the MP10 only connected to the belkin and I unplugged the belkin so that it was just running off the battery. It was still running this morning. Excited to see how long the pump can last off this. I also saw that people have daisy chained a few of these battery back ups together and were getting like 5 days run time.

FishnFriendz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishnFriendz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 2:43pm
Thanks for sharing.  I need to check it out also.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 5:31pm
Nice! I need to figure out something for my DC main pump.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 11:58am
ok guys so this morning the battery was dead. I'm not exactly sure when it ran out as it was still going when I checked it last which was around midnight. I'm guessing I got a little over 24 hours on it though which I think is pretty good.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic