Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

do you reall need a protien skimmer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do you reall need a protien skimmer
    Posted: November 04 2014 at 12:27pm
Just wondering if you really need one,if not what do you use.thanks
hedgefish
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 12:53pm
No, you can just leave all the crap in your tank or use other methods that remove the crap such as grow macro algae (talk to Mark), use filter socks and change frequently to remove the crap, change water frequently to remove crap, or stock your tank with corals that like crap.
65g Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 12:56pm
Good answer.

Skimmers are like little safety nets. If something dies, Or you over feed, or you don't have time for a water change.... they just keep cleaning.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 1:43pm
There was an excellent study done a few years ago that found that activated carbon can actually remove more dissolved organic carbon than a skimmer. But, that can get expensive quickly in large tanks. Skimmers mostly remove silicates and calcium carbonate.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 4:15pm
I don't know for sure what skimmers remove, but if you saw and smelled the sludge I just dumped out of my skimmer cup 10 minutes ago you would not want it in your tank.  I know I don't.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 4:30pm
There are three posts  by the OP which all ask the same question, in one the OP said they have had their tank up for two years without one so it seems they answered there own question! haha. I think your parameters, fish, and corals are the best indicators if you "need" a skimmer or not. If your tank has been up for 2 years and is doing well than no you do not need one.
65g Reef
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 6:28pm
Thanks everyone ,i thought with no question you had to have one ,learn some good info,thanks
hedgefish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic