Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm back...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm back...
    Posted: November 13 2014 at 10:35am
My wife bought me a 55 gallon tank for my birthday.

I picked it up last night (I rescued the tank), and got it moved to my house.
The tank was in really bad shape...  I'll be doing water chagnes over the next 2 weeks to get the water params back in place.

I replaced 10 gallons on the move, but didn't dare do any more than that.

I'll get some pictures later.
I'm excited to be back in the hobby.

I'm planning to do a softies tank with a few LPS (maybe).

right now the tank came with:

Maroon clown and 5 anenemies
1 green button start and a green leather
Ton of little crabs.
a few snails

a really nice light strip (LED, with remote for weather patterns, pretty cool)

Tank is not drilled and has a HOB filter.

I'm pretty excited the tank looks awesome this morning.

Edited by redleader - November 13 2014 at 10:37am
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 10:38am
I look forward to participating with the club.
I would like to register (become a paid member) so please get me some details on that.

150 G Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 11:00am
I'd start with a 100% water change first.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 1:22pm
Welcome back.

Adam, that's crazy talk. Instead, add some Macroalgae to clean the water. Depending on the amount used, it starts off and then does more and more as the crop of algae grows larger. Algae is the ultimate de-nitrator. It costs nothing and it does the work for you. I give away Macroalgae for this purpose. I'm in Murray, but there are hobbyists closer to you that will also give away Macroalgae.

Don't forget to check The Reefkeeping Tips for helpful info. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 1:26pm
That's ridiculous. He doesn't need to waste time growing algae when he can fix water issues in one hour.

Aren't you glad I'm here?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by redleader redleader wrote:

I look forward to participating with the club.
I would like to register (become a paid member) so please get me some details on that.

Come on Sat. to the Biggest Reefing Eventing in Utah! Memberships are on sale there for $20 and its only $10 to get in! 

Edited by Jeremyw - November 13 2014 at 1:33pm
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 4:02pm
I'll go for the 100% water change.
I'm already on that track anyway.

Tanks looks so much better today, now I just have to go and scrounge up the water, my RO filter is out of date, and I don't trust it.

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 9:57pm
Ok a little more about me now.

My name is Daniel.  I have been married now for nearly 20 years, I have 4 children who all share my love of marine life.  The living room of the home is the default gathering place again (thanks to the tank).

I'm excited to be back in The hobby.  I took a long break from the hobby, as I was traveling a lot for work, and my wife didn't want to care for the tank, I had two tank crashes while I was gone.  And called it quites after the second crash in 6 months.

The reason for crashes was a poorly designed tank drain system and kids.  Snail climbed in to a drain, and plugged it, I didn't have any passive monitoring, the tank flooded, and the auto top off kept RO water flowing in to the tank, 24 hours later, everything was dead.  I came home to a mess.

I cleaned it up, made changes to the drains, thought we had it taken care of.  A few month later I came home from a work trip again and found a couple handfuls of coins in the tank.  All pennies, and everything dead again.

I was so heart broken I gave up.

I don't travel for work anymore, I am home almost every night, and I have kids that help take care fo the tank.

My youngest child is 10 my oldest is 18 and senior in high school.  If you follow Wrestling, you will notice him this year...

That's a little about me, I hope to get to know more of you, and to share and exchange ideas.

Edited by redleader - November 27 2014 at 9:57pm

150 G Reef
kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 3:56pm
Good to see you back in it again Daniel!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic