Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Danielrvb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielrvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium Light
    Posted: November 16 2014 at 3:12pm
I have been without one for quite some time now, and Really need to get it going again. I have noticed quite a few people with the silver reflectors (I only know of them as heat lamps for chicks). Is that the new common used light for a refugium? and are people having good results?   Also, what bulb is being used with these? I want to go get one, but wanted to check first and get some feed back. 
Thank you!
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 3:25pm
I use the little one with a led bulb that compared to a traditional incandescent bulb pit out 80 watts at 6000 kelvin. I run the lamp via a timer the opposite my DT lights. Great algae growth where I can trim weekly and feed my tangs and always have enough for those that need some.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 8:33pm
The best Refugium light may still be the one that costs only $10. We call it the Home Depot Special. It's a $7 aluminum cone reflector with a $3 daytime color twist PC bulb. Get the largest bulb (100+ watt equivalent) possible and make sure it's the daytime color, not soft white. Replace the bulb yearly.
Hang the reflector as close to the water as possible (without it touching the water during power off, so the Macroalgae gets lots of light.
Secure the light to the stand with two zip ties around a screw so it cannot fall into the water.

Aloha  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 8:15am
I've done this in my tank, but used pvc and pvc pipe clamps to mount light.  I'll take a pic later today and put it up.

My drawing skills are not on par with Marks. Shocked
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 9:08am
Not all of us have the graphic design skills that mark appears to have been born with people like me are better to stick to crayons and glue sticks lol.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 9:04pm
Here are some pics of how I did my fuge light. And I still can't match marks illustration skills

Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 10:22pm
LOL Oh you guys. Embarrassed
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic