Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More LED questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More LED questions
    Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:00am
I'm currently out of the game while I plan my next tank (I'm thinking 30 gallon JBJ cube) but I'm trying to find the right lights. I've seen these recommended a few times elsewhere, but there are some voices on this forum that I really trust from my lurking position the last few years (hi Reefdup, fatman, more)

How can I determine if these are capable of solid light production aside from anecdotal internet evidence?

Thanks!
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:02am
Aaaaaand I forgot to post the lights in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evergrow-Dimmable-Full-Spectrum-D2120-120W-LED-Light-For-Reef-saltwater-aquarium-/330900426092
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:09am
They are perfect.  I have six of them on my tank right now, feel free to come over anytime.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:17am
Wow! Now that's the kind of endorsement I was looking for! How big is your tank? Would one unit work for a 30 gallon tank? How did you hang them?  I'm glad that you like them :D

Edited by 80cent - November 26 2014 at 10:22am
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:03am
There is plenty of light there for a 30 gallon cube. The optics are 90 degrees which should let you get them fairly close to the water surface and still spread the light out to cover. The LEDs are listed as Bridgelux which are good LEDs, not the most efficient, but I have them on my tank. The datasheet shows a lot of different spectrum on the light and my opinion is you don't need them all, but it won't hurt to have them. All the whites are on one dimmer, the colors on another which works, but I like to have some blue mixed with the whites; just personal preference.

My guess is that the pots (dimming knobs) can be hacked to let these run on a controller. I don't know for sure what the drivers are (PWM or analog)but if they are analog you can run them on any controller with a slight modification to the controller if it's output is digital (PWM). If they are analog drivers either will work but the dimming on a digital controller not be linear.

If these are what I think they are I see two problems with them:
1) The led is soldered directly to a circuit board (no star pad) which makes them slightly more difficult to replace if you lose one, and 2) the units I have fixed in the past like these use a very obscure driver that is difficult to replace. Neither of these issues is a deal killer.

You can spend way more and have more control of the colors and a better selection of colors, but for the price these appear to be a great deal if you are willing to accept the limitations.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:04am
Oh, I have seen Adam's tank. It's outstanding and about the size of most homes.

Fat
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:11am
Thanks very much for your post. Thankfully the limitations you listed are related to DIY tasks, and I'm so useless at fixing things that I'm not at risk to even attempt those things. For now these are looking like front-runners for me, especially with an endorsement from a presidency member. 

Thanks!
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:23am
Well don't take too much stock in what Adam says. Now if Reefy Buddy told you something you need to listen.

Fat
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:27am
Good point.  I'd listen to anything Reefy says.  

I have a 300 gal.  My lights are hanging on an iron frame I welded that sits on the tank.  For a 30 gal, these lights are perfect.  Keep looking around.  You can find them on ebay with shipping sometimes even under $90.  

I also have these lights on my freshwater planted tank, and frag systems.  

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:46am
Will 1 unit work on my 45 gal and could I screw it into my canopy hood as it is pretty close to the water and I couldn't afford any slack to wire mount it inside the canopy hood?? Thanks all

Edited by beege29 - November 26 2014 at 11:48am
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:59am
Is your 45 a cube or a rectangular tank? One would work on a cube but on a rectangular it would be right at it's max (probably get some shadowing and have to run it at 100%). If you mount it in a canopy you have to make sure it is open top or cut out for the fans to move air through. If not they will overheat and not last very long.

Not a bad light for the price but I find they don't give the best colors to my corals. I know many that use them and are happy with them. I just find I'm a little more picky apparently. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 1:12pm
Yeah its a rectangle :(
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 2:29pm
Beege, probably not enough lights then. There are 55 on there, but they're close together so your spread might leave uncovered spots.

Fat
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 2:55pm
Two over that tank would cover very nicely and let you run them dimmed so they would be cooler and last longer.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic