Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mg. level still low

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 8:49pm
sorry, what was 16?
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 8:59pm
So the is high,what do i do about bring it down,thanks
hedgefish
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 9:17am
FYI, this discussion began here because of a stressed Euphyllia:

Looks like the Mg never was a problem, as evidenced by the good Coralline Algae growth(pic below). I believe too intense light is causing the problem with the Octocoral, which may also be compounded by the high Alk.

Aloha  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 01 2014 at 9:19am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 9:28am
Originally posted by hedgefish hedgefish wrote:

So the is high,what do i do about bring it down,thanks
Here's what I recommend.
1.  Leave the tank water completely alone. The Alk and Mg will come down on their own just from the Coralline Algae and the animals using it;
2. Unplug and remove that 300 Watt heater. See the last 4 or 5 posts in this discussion for the reasons why: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73827
3. Reduce the MH lighting. For example, set the MH timer to come on at 4PM and go off at 8PM, the hours when most people are home and viewing the tank. Leave the t-5 lights coming on and off as usual and when it's time to replace the 6500 Kelvin MH bulb, check if the ballast will handle a 150 Watt and make it a 10,000 K or 14,000 K bulb;
4. Unplug and remove the chiller because with less MH lighting and a lower baseline temperature, it will no longer be needed;
5. Remove and replace the API Bio-chem-zorb with ordinary AC, that resin is not so good for a reef;
6 When the the Poly Filter is spent, do not replace it, but keep any unused pads for special needs.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

As promised, below are Jacques Cousteau pics of the predominant blue lighting provided by the sun in the depths of the ocean. LPS and Soft Coral are normally found living at 10-60 ft. Clams have even been found at 60 ft. because they need food as much as they need light. Under the 250 W MH more phytoplanton grew which fed the clam. I suggest Brine Shrimp Direct(BSD) Tahitian Blend Algae Paste for feeding clams. We are so lucky that BSD is in Ogden.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 01 2014 at 11:14am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 3:47pm
Also high salinity levels are a bad thing. I lost corals when this happened for less than a day. I recommend adjusting your salinity as it can cause issues.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 3:55pm
Thanks
hedgefish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic