Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank frame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank frame
    Posted: December 04 2014 at 7:42am
Yes, and if a person is concerned that the rimless tank won't stay together with an 18"x4" strip of glass bracing siliconed against the top inside edge, they can instead use an acrylic piece that has been molded into a bracket with hooked ends that wrap over the outside edges.

Metal brackets secure the "hang on the wall picture aquarium" at my Dentists Office. It's a rimless tank 36"x4.5"x20". A brushed metal picture frame hides the three metal brackets, which may be a little over cautious, at the top center and on each upper side. (the previous tank did split apart after many years, thus the over engineering)

Here it is a few months later. 

Without the Macroalgae, this little tank would be practically impossible. 
A few years later, still holding together, no worries:

Aloha  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 7:17am
Mark,

Some tank designs need cross bracing, which manufacturers put in their plastic top frames. Bottom frames don't need cross bracing and the frame is there most likely for the reasons you state.

Just my 2 cents.

Corey
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 9:27am
Use it as a rimless tank.  It will look awesome.
I ripped the rim off of two 40 gal breeder tanks for MarksReef Coral Farm. 

The plastic frame isn't so much for holding it together as it is for preventing the edges from getting banged when it's moved. Glass that has been banged can later start a crack from that point. Manufacturers can't afford that. Frameless tanks are shipped with massive edge protection.

For the bottom, glass tanks that have no frame simply need to be supported on the bottom by a perfectly flat non-bowing board, like 3/4" Melamine, on a sturdy frame.

For the top edge, if a single glass brace is siliconed across the front center, it will prevent the stress of bowing, not that the bowing is a serious problem, but just for added support.

You are invited to come see my modified tanks in Murray

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 02 2014 at 9:29am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 10:24pm
You could just euro brace it. how thick is the glass? If its 1/2" you could run in as a rimless
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 6:02pm
I don't know the only label on the tank is on the bottom glass pane that says do not drill tempered glass
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 5:54pm
Who makes your tank?
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 5:42pm
I have a 75 gallon tank that I need to replace the top and bottom frame on but everywhere I have talked to make frames 47 7/8" long but my tank measures 48" exactly does any one know where I can find the frames thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic